Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:33 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I still love spirea, some of the others, I agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:35 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
Hmm, we have Nadina domestica in our flowerbeds, planted by the previous owner. I've never had an issue with them being "invasive".

Bradford pears are invasive? I had no idea. They are everywhere because it's fast growing. We have 6 lining our driveway, again courtesy of the previous owners. Once they die though, we will be replacing them with something else.

My neighbor has Nandina shrubs, and I do find seedlings in the wooded area between our houses. They're not as fast growing as other invasives like Chinese Privet, but they do reseed nonetheless.

And the pears, I see them occasionally in wooded areas as well, usually not noticeable until spring when theyre blooming. I have found some wild seedlings on my property, but I suspect they're from the fruiting pear in my backyard. Deer like to eat the fruit and then they poop the seeds in the woods. The wild trees have very wicked thorns that hurt like heck if you bump into them.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:55 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
I agree and disagree with the bamboo. I would never plant running bamboo, which does exactly as the name states. Clumping bamboo grows in clumps. They have very different growing habits, it's a shame they both get painted with the same brush.

I have honeysuckle and vinca that I wish would do more, but our heavy clay soil and deep tree shade keeps both in check.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-31-2015 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 03:14 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Spirea? OK ...

I'm waiting for the sweet autumn clematis I planted several years ago to become "invasive". So far it's just kinda sitting there, growing a few inches a year. I was hoping it would be halfway up the trellis on the front porch by now.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:29 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I have several of those listed because I'm in NE Wisconsin, not a problem. My soil is sandy, over a foot down in places is total light tan beach sand. When I moved here from Illinois, I almost fell over putting a shovel in the ground as I thought it would be clay, under a few inches of soil. I have no clay, I can dig in my yard a foot, 2 feet deep with ease.

I grow hosta (many) under my pine trees, but also ivy, vinca under the trees, too but it dies off, comes back, doesn't seem to over take any area. I don't do anything special to my sandy soil, plants need to adjust to what I have. I don't fuss over my flower beds.

I've always heard there is barberry and barberry, not all of it is considered invasive and bad. In Wisconsin, the state does harp on it but I was told my yellow barberry that doesn't get berries on it, is not an issue. Barberry does grow wild along county roads, they claim garden centers are selling it, birds eat berries, you know the rest. I think the biggest seller is the maroon, dark red variety, you do see it along the road.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:14 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Bamboo is the absolute worst and it is almost impossible to dig out once it takes hold. Potted, ok maybe, but I would never plant it in the ground.
oh I so totally agree. It's taking over along a lot of creeks and streams around here.

Once it's there, it's not going away.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:32 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
After seeing cardinals eating the berries from a hedge of nandina in the yard, wondered about that too and found this report which isn't very nice, either.

Went ahead and cut off all the sprays of berries, but now have a couple shopping bags full of berries! Any suggestions how to get rid of them, just trash?

Old 11-30-2015, 07:23 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
[quote=Fubarbundy;42115708]After seeing cardinals eating the berries from a hedge of nandina in the yard, wondered about that too and found this report which isn't very nice, either.

Went ahead and cut off all the sprays of berries, but now have a couple shopping bags full of berries! Any suggestions how to get rid of them, just trash?
[/QUOT

If the berries are still attached to the sprays, use them for Christmas decorations - inside. If they are separate, try using them in clear glass containers as holiday accents. You could intersperse them with tiny hemlock cones for contrast. Pitch them - where they won't sprout - after the holidays.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:28 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
If the berries are still attached to the sprays, use them for Christmas decorations - inside. If they are separate, try using them in clear glass containers as holiday accents. You could intersperse them with tiny hemlock cones for contrast. Pitch them - where they won't sprout - after the holidays.
Oh yeah, they're almost all still attached and do appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately, my decoration skills on a scale of 1 to 10 are something slightly less than zilch point nada.

Otherwise, will return them to mother earth in an area of the yard reserved for that purpose (and where the cardinals can't get them!), instead of as trash.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:27 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Despite it's spring flowering beauty & although it's not really considered a noxious or invasive weed/plant in the same sense as some of the plants discussed here, I nevertheless consider the Redbud tree to be an unwelcome guest in our yard.
We are in the process of removing 2 large, thick-trunked Redbuds that grew too big & took to clogging the downspouts with their leaves & seed pods.
Other than the downspout problem, the biggest downside to our Redbuds has been their extreme effectiveness at sprouting tiny seedlings every where. The little "buggers" are difficult to pull out & have tenaciously strong root systems, especially for seedling-sized trees. They are such a pain to deal with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden