Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,021 times

Advertisements

i bought these crepe myrtle trees about 4 years ago.i have 11 of them,it seems like they been the same size since i planted them.except maybe 2 of them seem to be growing a tad bit.i never put mulch on them till this week i mulched one tree(as shown in pic)i added gypsum(just recently) under the mulch.anything else i should add to encourage these trees to grow? i have clay soil.bermuda grass grew around these trees last year.
Attached Thumbnails
trees wont grow?-photo-1.jpg   trees wont grow?-photo-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 06:04 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
The below link has been my bible in keeping CM's happy and healthy. First off, the soil may be too wet if it is clay. I amended my soil before planting. Next, is in in the sun? Those are the two things right off the bat that might be the problem.

Guide to Crepe Myrtles | Southern Living

Good luck

Old 03-30-2015, 07:28 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
Calidude,
Plant a tree high, and it won't die.
Plant a tree too low, and it won't grow.
Dig it up, plant it up high.
You should see the roots from the tree growing down into the soil.
Get it?
Look up online.
How to plant a tree, and trees planted too deep.
You will see pics, and see what I mean.
Are you in a cold climate? You mentioned Bermuda grass, so I am guessing you are warm
enough to grow a nice big Crape Myrtle.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The roots have to grow and expand in order for the tree to grow bigger. Think of it as the opposite of a bonsai, which is in a tiny, shallow pot and meant to stay small. In clay soil, I'd be willing to bet that your roots are confined to the original hole dug when you planted it. Clay can be hard as a rock and stop the roots as if in a pot. It would have been best to dig a hole about 3' wide and 2' deep, and fill with better soil when planting. At this point I would dig them up and do that now, before the weather gets too hot.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:11 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Calidude,
Plant a tree high, and it won't die.
Plant a tree too low, and it won't grow.
Dig it up, plant it up high.
You should see the roots from the tree growing down into the soil.
Get it?
Look up online.
How to plant a tree, and trees planted too deep.
You will see pics, and see what I mean.
Are you in a cold climate? You mentioned Bermuda grass, so I am guessing you are warm
enough to grow a nice big Crape Myrtle.
OMG, this made me smile. I haven't heard that since i was a kid. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidude209 View Post
i bought these crepe myrtle trees about 4 years ago.i have 11 of them,it seems like they been the same size since i planted them.except maybe 2 of them seem to be growing a tad bit.i never put mulch on them till this week i mulched one tree(as shown in pic)i added gypsum(just recently) under the mulch.anything else i should add to encourage these trees to grow? i have clay soil.bermuda grass grew around these trees last year.
Sometimes tree just take time to fully grow. I planted these tiny pine trees and they must have stayed the same 2 feet high for 8 years until they really started to grow. Now they are over 20 feet tall. From what I understand, trees need to establish their roots first to support the visible part of the tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden