Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times

Advertisements

Since we are on the cusp of springtime and I live in a rental home where the lawn is cut for free every week, I haven't paid too much attention to my yard. However lately I have been noticing just how out of control it has become. Over 60% of the yard is clovers, weeds, or something else of the sort. There are tons of fire ants and mounds throughout the yard, so walking out there barefoot or in sandals is almost entirely out of the question.

Are there any beginner tips on how to undertake this? I want to try to reduce the number of weeds as much as possible and bring thick green grass in to replace it. My budget is limited, I'm obviously not going to uproot all the yard or come in and lay down sod. Just curious if there are any weed killer and fertilizer combos I could lay down that could give me even a modest improvement.

My neighborhood is about 80% rental homes, and no one else cares about their lawn. I'd like to be that one individual who does and becomes the local envy from a lush green lawn. Would appreciate any ideas to help me undertake this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Since we are on the cusp of springtime and I live in a rental home...
Tell your LANDLORD to start with the weeds...
pre emergent weed killer then post emergent weed killer
two courses of each will then leave you with a LOT of open dirt.

Rake in some fertilizer and seed. Repeat.
It won't hurt to fork and turn (manual till) the ground some too.

If you/we don't get regular rain after the seed repeat in the fall.

Come fall... aerate and lime and seed.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:16 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Since we are on the cusp of springtime and I live in a rental home where the lawn is cut for free every week, I haven't paid too much attention to my yard. However lately I have been noticing just how out of control it has become. Over 60% of the yard is clovers, weeds, or something else of the sort. There are tons of fire ants and mounds throughout the yard, so walking out there barefoot or in sandals is almost entirely out of the question.

Are there any beginner tips on how to undertake this? I want to try to reduce the number of weeds as much as possible and bring thick green grass in to replace it. My budget is limited, I'm obviously not going to uproot all the yard or come in and lay down sod. Just curious if there are any weed killer and fertilizer combos I could lay down that could give me even a modest improvement.

My neighborhood is about 80% rental homes, and no one else cares about their lawn. I'd like to be that one individual who does and becomes the local envy from a lush green lawn. Would appreciate any ideas to help me undertake this. Thanks!
Weed and feed or some other type of granular weed killer. I used to pull weeds and finally gave that up. Its like they never end. I put out the weed and feed on the parts that needed it and regular fertilizer on the parts that did not.

If you have a good lawn, the weeds won't grow. So you have to maintain during the year. Keep it watered and fed. Sometimes on the bad spots I will throw down a bag of garden soil and spread that out.

I have a huge yard and I'm done manually fighting the weeds! As for the ants, I used spectracide and that finally worked on leaf cutter ants. I tried the non poisonous ways many times, and nothing. I even tried to dig them out and move them. I was really just more curious as to how far the darn tunnels went - way too deep from what I found - lol.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:40 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Xeriscape. A good landscape cloth will prevent the weeds, cover with bark, wood chips, pecan shells, gravel, or some combination, and plant some native shrubs or trees which will not need excessive watering or fertilizing.

Low maintenence, looks great, and way more sensible than the effort of trying to get some foreign grass to look nice.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:41 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,789,000 times
Clover Overview

Clover Killer: How to Kill Clover Weeds in Your Grass or Lawn - Weeding Tips

Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Xeriscape. A good landscape cloth will prevent the weeds, cover with bark, wood chips, pecan shells, gravel, or some combination, and plant some native shrubs or trees which will not need excessive watering or fertilizing.

Low maintenence, looks great, and way more sensible than the effort of trying to get some foreign grass to look nice.
He is renting - so this might not be practical.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:19 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,403,094 times
Whenever I see a lush green lawn, the only thing I think of is all of the chemicals and poisons that were applied to the land. I'd rather have a few "weeds". Besides, frequent mowing makes it nearly indistinguishable from lawns without. But I'm not in the "deep South" so I suspect that our lawns are naturally better.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:41 PM

57 posts, read 79,481 times
Two things you need to do:

1) Get a tub of Cyper WP (online) and apply that with a hose sprayer (available at HD). That will put an end to fire ants (and, black widows too, who, btw, for some reason like to web in the entrances to fire ant hills). The stuff is non toxic to people and mammal pets. But will annihilate those bugs.

2) Spectricide weed killer available at HD should be applied as soon as growth begins AND Preen that entire place at the same time.

By June you should be pretty much weed free and fire ants will be greatly reduced....don't forget to re-apply that Cyper WP again in a couple months.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 PM

508 posts, read 663,251 times
Quote:

Clover is good - provides nitrogen for the lawn and makes it look nicer. It also helps to aerate the soil, maintain moisture, encourages worms, and lots of other good stuff. Leave it alone. It is not a weed.

Fire ants are bad. Get Amdro. Use it carefully (as in don't disturb the mound). Follow the directions. Wear lace-up shoes or work boots - no tennis shoes with ventilation panels. Tuck your pants legs into your socks. You should be fine.

I am serious about the clover. A lawn with clover in it is much lower maintenance than a lawn that is all grass. Actual weeds may be a problem - crab grass springs to mind, it is pernicious and will displace grass and clover as well, leaving bare spots in its wake - but clover is NOT a weed.

If you have bare spots overseed in early spring. Overseeding can also be useful in helping to drive actual weeds out of the lawn as well, as some of them are opportunistic plants moving in to spots where there is no or little grass.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:40 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Tell your LANDLORD to start with the weeds...
pre emergent weed killer then post emergent weed killer
two courses of each will then leave you with a LOT of open dirt.

Rake in some fertilizer and seed. Repeat.....
won't you keep killing the new grass that comes up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden