Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

I am finding an over abundance of weeds in my beds and around the edges of our lawn. More than I have ever seen. I have never had to pull weeds so much before. I switched weed and feed service and I don't know if that is the problem or its all this rain we have had and the hot summer.
Anybody else noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:49 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am finding an over abundance of weeds in my beds and around the edges of our lawn. More than I have ever seen. I have never had to pull weeds so much before. I switched weed and feed service and I don't know if that is the problem or its all this rain we have had and the hot summer.
Anybody else noticed this?
My lawn always gets weeds where the lawn meets asphalt despite using a lawn fertilization service. It has more to do with hot summer than anything else. If your grass isn't getting enough water then it goes dormant and weeds will overtake the grass. This is especially true near the edge of your lawn because there is less nutrient-rich soil there than in the middle of your lawn. If you ever take morning walks at 6am, this is why you always see in-ground irrigation systems installed along the border of the lawn abutting the driveways and sidewalks.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 AM

422 posts, read 1,475,722 times
Mine too....sigh...blardy crabgrass!!!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:09 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
I've got the weirdest looking weeds in opposite corners of my yard. They're both against the fence. One corner backs up against the narrow strip between the fence and the neighbor's garage, and they've got a ton of English ivy crawling all over the place. These weeds have managed to smother part of the ivy that's growing over the fence and into my yard. The same weed has taken over the other nether corner between the edge of the deck and the fence. I don't have a weed whacker, so there's no way I can get in there unless I pull them up manually.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
Mine too....sigh...blardy crabgrass!!!
It's funny that a lot of the rest of the country (especially warmer areas) just call this stuff grass. It's horrible.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times
What kind of service do you use for ivy/vegetation removal from the top of a chimney?

Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
We have had some patchy weeds this year that we don't normally get. We have a nutrient only program and only have pesticides applied as needed. We also have our lawn aerated and overseeded every year so we don't have pre-emergent crabgrass control put down. This year has been awful for a weed called nutsedge. There is nothing that can control it - your service just has to keep coming out to spray it.

If you are getting a lot of crabgrass in the lawn and you have pre-emergents applied, chances are the heavy rains washed out the barrier that the crabgrass control forms. You may also be using a company that only does one of the those applications. The better companies will do 2. If you are getting a lot of crabgrass along your borders, your company may not blowing the product from the hard surface back onto that part of your lawn. We used to have that problem when we used one of the big companies. Not only is it a bad practice for lawn care, it's a bad practice for the environment. Fertilizer and chemical run off can be prevented by removing the product from hard surfaces like driveway and walkways. You should also have the areas that have the crabgrass top dressed and reseeded or slice seeded annually. It will help to prevent the crabgrass, hold the products on the lawn where it belongs and absorb water more effectively as well.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 PM

422 posts, read 1,475,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
It's funny that a lot of the rest of the country (especially warmer areas) just call this stuff grass. It's horrible.
I was complaining about crabgrass to a friend in Indiana and she had no idea what I was referring to so she googled....and then she told me "oh, I have that all over my yard...I didn't know they are weed...I just thought that's how grass looks like over here"

Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
Identity of said weeds? If they are so-called "invasive species," you could have a pretty difficult problem on your hands. Click for more on these.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
We have had some patchy weeds this year that we don't normally get. We have a nutrient only program and only have pesticides applied as needed. We also have our lawn aerated and overseeded every year so we don't have pre-emergent crabgrass control put down. This year has been awful for a weed called nutsedge. There is nothing that can control it - your service just has to keep coming out to spray it.

If you are getting a lot of crabgrass in the lawn and you have pre-emergents applied, chances are the heavy rains washed out the barrier that the crabgrass control forms. You may also be using a company that only does one of the those applications. The better companies will do 2. If you are getting a lot of crabgrass along your borders, your company may not blowing the product from the hard surface back onto that part of your lawn. We used to have that problem when we used one of the big companies. Not only is it a bad practice for lawn care, it's a bad practice for the environment. Fertilizer and chemical run off can be prevented by removing the product from hard surfaces like driveway and walkways. You should also have the areas that have the crabgrass top dressed and reseeded or slice seeded annually. It will help to prevent the crabgrass, hold the products on the lawn where it belongs and absorb water more effectively as well.
Me too! I started seeing nutsedge for the first time last year and has gotten worse this year. It's bad because it grows so much faster than grass, so it's very noticeable. My fertilization technician told me nutsedge couldn't be controlled with chemicals though - he recommended hand-weeding them, just like you would do with crabgrass. The cause of nutsedge (unlike most other weeds) is due to overwatering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts