Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times

Advertisements

Are the local plant nurseries where you live selling new types of plants that they haven't attempted to sell before?

Where I live in the Indianapolis area, a local nursery attempted to sell a lone small shrub cultivar of Crape Myrtle "Red Rocket" was the type of crape myrtle they were trying to sell, only I don't think they ever sold it; and I believe they had to overwinter it at their nursery property, I intend to visit this local nursery this summer to see if the Crape Myrtle survived this past winter in Indianapolis and if so if It finally got sold.
I also saw another local nursery this season selling tiny baby seedlings of Mediterranean Pink Heather bushes as of early April of this season. I never saw them sell those before either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Retail nurseries sell what the wholesalers grow. That's where the their plants.

Do you want crepe myrtles or heather or not?

I'm not clear on your question.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:14 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Retail nurseries sell what the wholesalers grow. That's where the their plants.

Do you want crepe myrtles or heather or not?

I'm not clear on your question.
The question is exactly what it sounds like, have local nurseries tried out and attempted selling plants that they have nit sold or tried to sell in years past. Also, i thought that locally owned nurseries only sold what they know will survive and even thrive in a local climate, i didn't think they would sell or at least try selling foreign material from a distant and discordant hardiness zone.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:58 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
In this area, we have both kinds of nurseries.

One kind that buys wholesale from far far away, and retails.

The other kind we have only buys from local producers. [Fedcoseeds.com and johnnyseeds.com] Both of these handle seeds, tubers, and bare-root trees and vines. But only plants that are acclimatized to this zone.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:53 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
"Are Local Plant nurseries at your location? "

Yes, there are local nurseries where I live.
I think pretty much every place has something local, or at least nearby.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 PM

195 posts, read 246,499 times
Some of the big wholesale nurseries have gotten bigger by merging with or buying out other wholesale nurseries. Out west, Monrovia has become huge, and it is hard to find retail nurseries whose stock isn't primarily from Monrovia -- don't know what its like in your state... unfortunately... one side effect of this is that your choice becomes limited by what Monrovia is pushing that season. Perhaps another side effect, is that if a big wholesale house has a bunch of a particular plant, they may sell it to your local nursery, even if you haven't seen it before. You can probably do some research to see if that plant is suited for your local climate.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:20 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I would like to buy from local nurseries, but those I have visited have plants that are poorly labeled and priced, so I confess that I either buy online or at the DIY stores.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:44 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Any nursery will try to stay current with offerings. Plants of all types are in trial gardens all over the country which costs money. They want to recoup those costs by selling those plants as much as they can. The big box stores have put so many local nurseries out of business which is really a shame. Most employees don't know a thing about plant material and most are not trained for the short seasonal type of work they do.

There is a wonderful "local" nursery about an hour away from me. They send plants all over the country and their catalogue is very informative and entertaining.

Try; Plant Delights Website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden