Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 PM

500 posts, read 1,173,555 times

Advertisements

I have tried everything as weed barriers in my flower beds (weed fabric, newspaper, cardboard) and I must have some robo-weeds, because halfway through the summer, weeds are punching through (even if I've sprayed with roundup and pulled beforehand).

I'm planning on planting my flowers in pots and just placing them throughout the flower beds on top of the mulch, instead of putting the flowers directly in the ground.

I have a few rolls of wax paper that I'm not going to use for anything else, and thought it could be a possibility to be stronger, perhaps? Do you think it would be, and would there be any reason why I shouldn't?

I'm at the end of my rope here!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 08:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Wax paper is weaker than black plastic so not logical to use it. Paper with wax that melts in sun?Weeding is part of growing things ;at least to a degree.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
wax paper is not sturdy when wet. can't think of anything worse to use. save it for baking cookies.

newspaper- not color pages- will work if thick enough but will eventually decompose and if not covered with pretty thick mulch will show or blow away.

I've had some success with Preen which is a pre-emergent. But the truth is if you want flowers or a garden you will have to deal with weeds. I like to plant my perennials, bulbs, rhizomes so close together they shade out any possible weeds but that means careful fertilizer and division more frequently than if I planted as recommended.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:27 PM

500 posts, read 1,173,555 times
Darn. I guess I didn't think of it that way.

I've never in my life seen so many weeds in a yard before. My parents and friends rarely ever work in their yards, and have very few weeds. I've spent SO MUCH MONEY every summer on weed killer and barriers, etc. it's really excessive, and I've been told that by several people. I just can't get it under control.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
your flowers placed in pots on top of the ground will work I guess but you lose the benefit of perennials multiplying and spreading. Also if you use plastic growing pots from the nursery, I don't think that will look too nice and terra cotta will dry out if not watered frequently. I have some very large concrete pots strategically placed in my beds for height and interest. I fill them about half full with crushed milk cartons, crushed plastic nursery pots, then cover that with coconut fiber and then my potting soil. This keeps the pots from being too heavy, wasting good potting soil where the roots won't ever reach, keeps good potting soil from going down in between whatever I use as filler and gives good drainage. Plus coconut fiber lasts several growing seasons and can be recycled many times.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:23 PM

195 posts, read 246,295 times
Plants in pots will probably need a lot more watering than plants in the ground -- maybe daily, as the soil in the elevated pots will dry faster, the the plant's roots won't be able to seek out the moist soil further down.

I have to weed a lot every spring (I generally hire a young person to do it). I think it is just part of having a yard -- I don't like using weed killer as it will eventually end up in the groundwater and make it's way into our city lake -- but I live in Seattle, where fewer people try to make their yard look like a golf course.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:33 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
I don't understand why your newspapers didn't work. My mother always used a thick layer of newspapers and then only needed to weed right nest to the plants.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:35 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
If the mulching material is too thick/heavy on top of the papers or other weed barriers, the weed seeds that fly in will just propagate on that top layer of mulch cover, then the roots will penetrate the wet paper below and really take hold. It only takes an inch or so of soft material for weeds to germinate.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:54 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I have tried everything as weed barriers in my flower beds (weed fabric, newspaper, cardboard) and I must have some robo-weeds, because halfway through the summer, weeds are punching through (even if I've sprayed with roundup and pulled beforehand).
1st - Round up is horrible to use around plants. Forget that.

2nd - You tried cardboard and they still come up?? Does the cardboard deteriorate fast? Did you put mulch over the cardboard or pebbles? Did you use thick enough cardboard? Was there a gap somewhere? Were they coming up in just one or two spots only?

With those questions asked, I will say, I been using cardboard and the only time the weeds try to come up is at the end of the season and by that time I'm done with outdoor gardening. (September)

I have a HUGE problem with weeds around here. I use the cardboard for my walking paths in veggie garden BUT............. I got sick and tired of pulling them around the house .... SO .......

3rd - Weed blocker and Mulch!!! Oh man did that work.. It will last at least 5 years if you get the right type. That will hold weed downs for sure. Got my roll at local hardware store.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+in+flower+bed

Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
What about rototilling the beds, then having the soil/roots removed? Like, to a depth of 2 feet? Then have new soil brought in?

I have a neighbor who plants in giant pots, then digs holes for them to sit down into. Looks nice. I don't know why he does it that way. it is mostly for perennials.

You can find perennials that will spread by throwing seeds, not by roots, so planting them in pots isn't a problem. Hellebores come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden