Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:46 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times

Advertisements

cheapest way to upgrade a backyard (neighbor) privacy fence?
The fence in some sections is falling apart.

I got a quote form a (probably unlicensed) contractor, for replacong 3 posts, three 2x4s and 3 kickboards. He quoted $600. I calculated the material from Home Depot would cost around $100. So replacing 9 pieces costs $100 material plus $500 labor.

I checked fence panels at HD, costing around $60 each. I would need 3 panels and 3 posts, $250 material plus ??? labor.
The questions is, would it take a lot less labor to replace the boards, than taking the boards apart and reassembling them with a few new boards?

If the total material+labor costs are similar, but I can get a brand new fence then it should be worth it. I just dont know how much work/labor each option would require.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:00 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
IMO just pay someone. In this case you have to take out the old fence posts and put in new ones. That is a lot of digging and you could hurt your back...backs are priceless. For a contractor they also have overhead, so they are not going to do it at cost for you:
For 2 guys:
1. Travel - 100
2. 8 hrs labor - 240
3. Materials - 100
4. Profit - 160?

That's why many people don't bother with small jobs. It is kind of expensive for you, but looking at this...it seems hardly worth it for the contractor... Honestly you will get a better job from a pro and avoid hurting yourself. I'd just pay it. 1/2 up front and 1/2 at completion.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:06 AM

Either way we need 3 posts replaced.
But, is it less work to install 3 new panels, than taking apart the 3 old panels and replace 6 boards in them?

Old 05-19-2015, 10:12 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I am on the hire someone to do this for you side . Yep backs are precious indeed and I would hire someone hands down to do this . No matter the cost .

Old 05-19-2015, 10:33 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Seems a little much for the labor involved.

HOWEVER you don't give us the entire picture OP in the difficulty of removing the posts, disposing of them, getting the materials tools labor to the site, EXPERIENCE in doing the job right, insurance: work comp and liability, wear and tear on equipment, guarantee if something fails, etc.......

Materials, Labor, Overhead and Profit.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:28 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I would repair what I have rather than replace entire panels.

I would also put in my own posts and not pay someone $600. That seems like way too much! Did you call professional fence installers or just a handyman?

Do you have to dig new holes? If the current posts are cemented in, you might be able to dig them out and put new posts in those holes. If not cemented, pull the old posts out, make the holes a bit bigger and cement the new posts with some concrete forms. It really isn't rocket surgery.

(BTW, I'm a 47 year old woman. If I had to dig brand new holes, I would probably find some guy in my neighborhood to do that part for me.)

Old 05-19-2015, 12:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I would repair what I have rather than replace entire panels.

I would also put in my own posts and not pay someone $600. That seems like way too much! Did you call professional fence installers or just a handyman?

Do you have to dig new holes? If the current posts are cemented in, you might be able to dig them out and put new posts in those holes. If not cemented, pull the old posts out, make the holes a bit bigger and cement the new posts with some concrete forms. It really isn't rocket surgery.

(BTW, I'm a 47 year old woman. If I had to dig brand new holes, I would probably find some guy in my neighborhood to do that part for me.)
So your that lady.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Contractors do not like to do tiny jobs like this, it takes up time they could be spending on jobs that bring big money, so they jack up the price. If they get the job, they make a big profit, if you pass, not much lost. Since you are also in a very high cost area, their overhead is high. This is a very easy DIY job, but if you have no skills with saw and hammer, offer to pay a relative, friend, friend of friend or neighbor that is handy. For me that would be about a 4 hour job, and if someone I knew asked for help I'd either do it for a meal or maybe $100 labor plus materials. I'm not a contractor but enjoy that kind of work, perhaps you can find someone like me there.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Does Home Depot do this kind of work? Might want to check that out.

It seems like it would be more labor to take apart the old panels, than to just put up new ones.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:16 PM

The quote camne from a "fence guy", I doubt that he has a contractor license. My friend lives 40 miles into the richer neighborhood, and he is chasing fence contractors for a similar job for several months. The contractors dont bother getting back to him. So finding multiple contractors in this area is impossible, I guess I am lucky that I got one quote.

This is how it looks like right now:

By the way, this kind of panel, I have not seen it at Home Depot, neither at Lowes. This may be the type that looks the same from both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden