Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you eat vegetables grown with human urine?
Yes 21 35.00%
No 31 51.67%
Maybe. I'd have to read more about it. 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 09:58 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
In arid areas the salts might matter but not in areas of lots of rainfall.

Human urine is used in permaculture as a compost accelerator. It leaves the body sterile. The smell is when airborne bacteria mixes in and reproduces because the urine is rich in nutrients, mainly nitrogen. When placed in the compost it quickly breaks down into it's chemical components by the bacteria and microbes that consume it and release it into the compost as their own waste product. All productive soil has as one of it's components this microbial waste. All soil. Even the soil that the plants you buy in the grocery store is grown in.

Nightsoil is feces. Urine is not called nightsoil. Nightsoil can be used on plants after two to three years of composting. But not before. Cow and horse manure is supposed to be composted for a year. Field contamination is tied to livestock waste in runoff.

Yeah, in the winter I use urine to keep the compost pile cooking. No medications in my supply and by the time I use the compost the urine itself is non-existing.
I used to tell my husband to take a whiz on the compost pile whenever it was convenient. It could always use a bit more nitrogen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 10:17 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
I said yes, since I already have.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:17 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Well, maybe this is just the squeamishness of a Westerner, but we don't need to use human pee when animal pee is readily available and contains many of the same nutrients. There are too many disease risks with human pee, a person could have Hepatitis or some other disease that is transferrable to people if the wrong situation arises. Plus, urine also sometimes contains prescription or non-prescription drugs that can probably be absorbed by the roots or the soil. I'm thinking they consider animal waste fertilizer but raw sewage a health risk for a reason, so I would say don't do it.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:54 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst
Peeing in your garden does not mean peeing on the fruits.
Having a large garden, in the middle of nowhere, the growers (myself and husband) have been known to take a break in the garden. We don't pee ON the plants, so the concern of contaminated food is, well, not a concern.

Those food borne pathogens found in the commercial food supply comes from pickers not washing their hands, not from using fields as a toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Well, if they are pooping in the field, where exactly do you think they are washing their hands?
You missed something here. Urine is sterile, no need for hands - one can drip dry.
Fecal matter is the offending substance and requires 'hands on'. Take a dump in the field, take a dump in a port-a-potty....either way, it's likely there is not a hand washing station in proximity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden