Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 04:43 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypeony View Post
I have a fellow Lilium enthusiast in Canada that could grow orientals to the height you mentioned but I couldn't. I wish to see your Casablanca when they bloom! Trumpets are my favorite of all lilies followed by OTs. There is not much trumpet varieties in the market unless you go buy them from specialty growers like the Lily Garden, B and D Lilies and a couple of growers from Canada. I planned on growing some from seeds as I do got some from Lilium friends.

Just like you, I also grow amaryllis in winter. Got a nice collection of cybisters until I left them in the garage and did not bring them inside when freezing temps hit. This was two years ago. I have one left and that is Lima. I gotta have flowers to see in winter!

We should start a thread posting a photo from our garden to get through the winter.

Sharing a pic of my Aurelian Trumpet 'White Henryi'.
Lovely, lovely Trumpet! Sigh. I don't have any flower photos. I am not much of a photographer. I haven't planted my Gervase amaryllis yet, but when it blooms, I will post a photo of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 05:32 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I love the coming winter! Just in the past few weeks, it has gotten cool enough to be outside working here in GA. My beds are all clean, fertilized and mulched, and my shrubs are pruned. Just this week, the Carolina Jessamine around the mailbox has started to bloom, with pretty yellow flowers that will be there all winter.
I will need to buy some new weed killer to keep in control, but that will just give me a reason to go outside. This is the best gardening time here, except for early spring.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I love the coming winter! Just in the past few weeks, it has gotten cool enough to be outside working here in GA. My beds are all clean, fertilized and mulched, and my shrubs are pruned. Just this week, the Carolina Jessamine around the mailbox has started to bloom, with pretty yellow flowers that will be there all winter.
I will need to buy some new weed killer to keep in control, but that will just give me a reason to go outside. This is the best gardening time here, except for early spring.
What is your average winter temperature in your part of Georgia?

Old 11-10-2015, 07:39 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
What is your average winter temperature in your part of Georgia?
Average highs and lows are:
December is 40-62 degrees
January is 38-60
Feb. is 40-64
March 15th is last danger of frost.
It does go below freezing in these months, so I can't grow citrus or tender tropicals, but there are lots of things that flower in the winter, like Camelias and the jessamine, and pansies can almost go all winter.
It's still sweater weather most of the time for us northerners.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Average highs and lows are:
December is 40-62 degrees
January is 38-60
Feb. is 40-64
March 15th is last danger of frost.
It does go below freezing in these months, so I can't grow citrus or tender tropicals, but there are lots of things that flower in the winter, like Camelias and the jessamine, and pansies can almost go all winter.
It's still sweater weather most of the time for us northerners.
Sounds very nice to me!

Old 11-16-2015, 05:36 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypeony View Post
I have a fellow Lilium enthusiast in Canada that could grow orientals to the height you mentioned but I couldn't. I wish to see your Casablanca when they bloom! Trumpets are my favorite of all lilies followed by OTs. There is not much trumpet varieties in the market unless you go buy them from specialty growers like the Lily Garden, B and D Lilies and a couple of growers from Canada. I planned on growing some from seeds as I do got some from Lilium friends.

Just like you, I also grow amaryllis in winter. Got a nice collection of cybisters until I left them in the garage and did not bring them inside when freezing temps hit. This was two years ago. I have one left and that is Lima. I gotta have flowers to see in winter!

We should start a thread posting a photo from our garden to get through the winter.

Sharing a pic of my Aurelian Trumpet 'White Henryi'.
Oh I love it! Supposedly l. Henryi is edible. Don't take my word for it and eat it, though. I have some of the plain orange ones. Butterflies love them.

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=br...&lpg=SA98-PA10

Old 11-17-2015, 06:36 AM

275 posts, read 24,862 times
Thanks. I know they eat lily bulbs in China. They say stir fried lily scales is good. But no, I don't want to try it. Yes, butterflies love them. I got a nice pic of a butterfly on my L. 'Scheherazade' one year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden