Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 08:48 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times

Advertisements

Well, from what you guys have posted, it's a fail with this set. They are in light, loamy soil, I do fertilize fairly often...
It's still not a wash though. I've got more seeds and we've had no cold weather to speak of. Will adding sand to the mix help out? How often to fertilize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 08:58 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Well, from what you guys have posted, it's a fail with this set. They are in light, loamy soil, I do fertilize fairly often...
It's still not a wash though. I've got more seeds and we've had no cold weather to speak of. Will adding sand to the mix help out? How often to fertilize?

Radishes taste better if they mature in cool weather. Don't fertilize at all (unless you have just incredibly crappy dirt). You can top dress with a thin layer of compost if you like. Just once, though, when you plant.

Plant the seeds. Before you cover them over hit them with water to coat the seeds and jump start germination. Cover over and water the row again. You should get leaves coming up within a couple weeks. That's when the 60 days to harvest comes in.

Don't let them get too big (unless they're supposed to) or they'll get what's called "woody". The centers will separate and have internal gaps.

If they're the radishes that grow down like carrots you do need fairly loose soil.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:03 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Quote:
I would pickup a small bag of topsoil to mix with what you have to firm it up a little. They like to have a little side pressure around them, and that might help. As far as fert. goes, I would not add any at all, or maybe a very diluted liquid fert if you feel the need. They are such fast growers I doubt it really makes a difference.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
What soil are you starting with? Florida isn't exactly known for good soil. But, radishes are sort of a plant and forget kinda veggie so you may be over-pampering them.

Plants are solar activated and there's less solar this time of year, usually for the winter garden, I extend the recommended harvest times by a week or two if not more. We just finished Winter Solstice which is the shortest day of the year. The poor radishes are probably confused since the days have been getting shorter instead of longer.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
It's raised bed, a rich mixture that my wife makes. It has peat, compost, pine bark chips, perlite and osmocote beads. I'm going to add some topsoil as suggested above.

I know that radishes are cooler weather plants, so started in Oct. But Mother Nature hasn't been very cooperative this year. They are not getting any direct sun, but about 1 foot outside of direct sun. Very lush top growth, just no globes below soil level. I think I'll use the greens in salads, just to get that radish taste I love.

I guess you guys are right. I'm pampering them.

Another question: Can I leave them in ground longer and they will develop globes, or just go to seed so that would be moot?

I really appreciate all the advice offered. Hopefully success with the next set. Feel free to offer me any more informative info you have. I want organic radishes

Last edited by TerraDown; 12-25-2015 at 03:03 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 06:08 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
It's raised bed, a rich mixture that my wife makes. It has peat, compost, pine bark chips, perlite and osmocote beads. I'm going to add some topsoil as suggested above.

I know that radishes are cooler weather plants, so started in Oct. But Mother Nature hasn't been very cooperative this year. They are not getting any direct sun, but about 1 foot outside of direct sun. Very lush top growth, just no globes below soil level. I think I'll use the greens in salads, just to get that radish taste I love.

I guess you guys are right. I'm pampering them.

Another question: Can I leave them in ground longer and they will develop globes, or just go to seed so that would be moot?

I really appreciate all the advice offered. Hopefully success with the next set. Feel free to offer me any more informative info you have. I want organic radishes

Oh yeah, the soil's too rich. The lush top growth is the giveaway. I guess you can use the tops if you like. They won't bulb up now but will go to seed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadadah View Post
i am not sure what is the issue

His radishes aren't forming.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:28 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Over fertilizing causes the lush above ground growth of the plant and reduces the chances for below ground development.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:17 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
I believe the soil must have CA PH of 6.5 ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden