Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:42 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times

Advertisements

Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 AM

38 posts, read 70,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I thought I'd throw up a quick post and show everyone how my tomato project in the basement is going!

I am growing 4 Hahms Gelbe tomatoes (red) and 6 Micro Tom tomatoes (orange). I started them all at the same time in early February and all are producing ripening fruit! The Hahms Gelbe are about 15" tall and the Micro Toms are barely 8" tall. It's amazing that a couple of good grow lights and some TLC will produce such great results. I am very excited about this and plan to save as many seeds as possible so that I can grow a couple dozen plants under my lights next winter for tomatoes year-round.

Enjoy the photos! These were taken yesterday evening (04/27/16). I included a random one of some white icicle radishes I am growing in a whiskey barrel. Works very well because it's deep, which these longer radishes really need. Some of the roots were over a foot long.
Very impressive! Thanks for showing us.

What type of grow lights do you use and could you show us any pictures of your winter garden setup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 12:29 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Wait ... You're getting Tomato yields in your basement??????? Well, I guess you'll be ready for the next Ice Age...or apocalypse . lol. Wow!

Bee population dying? No problem, head to Nicks basement for food
Haha! I would never (at least right now) attempt to grow full size tomato plants in my basement, but these dwarf/micro tomatoes are simple and so much fun to grow! Bees are definitely not an issue, at least with these small plants, because I just shake them or flick the developing flowers every day in order for them to properly pollinate. Works great and takes 5 seconds.

I hope to save lots of seeds so I can give some away and always have a supply for indoor growing!

Old 04-29-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not sure how long you've lived there but Denver see's snow in May as well. So if this pattern continues, no doubt you'll see snow again after today. How do farmers react or prepare for this? When do farmers have their crops in the fields ? June?

Here are the Top 5 daily snows in Denver in month of May

https://twitter.com/TomNiziol/status/726023716639887360
I'm actually a native. I won't exaggerate, as a lot of natives seem to do, but I have seen snow as late as the last week in May, though it never accumulated to anything substantial and it was many years ago. I worry a lot less about the snow this time of year than I do hard freezes. Snow is actually a wonderful thing for the garden and my early season spring veggies have thrived through the past few snows we've received. I don't cover or move anything unless we expect temps below about 25º which is not supposed to happen through this series of storms. Most of what I've planted outdoors so far has endured temperatures below 20º.

I would imagine many farmers have probably planted at this point or will in the next week or two. I think they're used to the volatility of the weather here and have planned accordingly. Most people do not plant too early because they've all learned their lessons over the years. I'm still learning, but I also have containers and the ability to move them into a secure place if needed. Many home gardeners don't even transplant until the first or second week in June to avoid the possibility of a very late freeze. I think the biggest spring obstacle here is severe weather, which really ramps up in May through June. Hail is extremely common, even daily during particularly nasty periods, though I'm thankful it's rarely larger than a marble. For this reason, I've purchased a 12'x100' foot of 30% shade cloth which I understand works very well at protecting against hail. I plan to cover the entire garden with it during the times I won't be home in May and June. Once the plants are well-established, I won't worry too much about them. I escaped hail almost entirely last season (one small storm in the first week of June and that was it all summer), but I know that was just good luck and I need to be better prepared this season. With our weather here, it's never good to assume anything.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inui View Post
Very impressive! Thanks for showing us.

What type of grow lights do you use and could you show us any pictures of your winter garden setup?
Thank you, Inui! I use THESE grow lights, which I've now had for a couple of years and which were much less expensive than they are now (I think I paid around $50 each). I really like them because they are lightweight, free-standing, easily adjusted and portable. I have 6 of the 4' versions and 2 of the 2' versions. During the week I harden the plants off, I bring them upstairs and take hostage the dining table so I don't have to lug the trays of plants up and down the basement stairs.

I've included a photo below of the set-up (16' long, 2' deep). I just have the lights lined up on some 4'x2' shelving units we purchased at Lowe's and it works perfectly as a waist-high work platform. I store my canning and seedling supplies on the shelves below. It's absolutely more than ideal for my needs - better than I had initially anticipated. Though it hasn't necessarily been the least expensive process acquiring everything (probably around $600 for everything), I don't have to do anything different and should have this set up for as long as I want it. I use a couple of outlet strips and electric timers (set to turn on at 6:00am and turn off at 10:00pm) to plug them in and that's that.

Just for fun, I've included a few photos of the dinner I prepared last night. I wish the peppers and onions were from my garden (SOON, though!), but the dwarf pak choys ARE from my garden and BOY did they just take this stirfry over the top! I just LOVE utilizing home grown veggies!

Inui, if you're interested in a more elaborate description of my set-up, PM me and I will send you whatever information you'd like to know.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2016 Container Garden-img_2824.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2849.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2850.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2852.jpg  

Old 04-29-2016, 07:42 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
I'm actually a native. I won't exaggerate, as a lot of natives seem to do, but I have seen snow as late as the last week in May, though it never accumulated to anything substantial and it was many years ago. I worry a lot less about the snow this time of year than I do hard freezes. Snow is actually a wonderful thing for the garden and my early season spring veggies have thrived through the past few snows we've received. I don't cover or move anything unless we expect temps below about 25º which is not supposed to happen through this series of storms. Most of what I've planted outdoors so far has endured temperatures below 20º.

I would imagine many farmers have probably planted at this point or will in the next week or two. I think they're used to the volatility of the weather here and have planned accordingly. Most people do not plant too early because they've all learned their lessons over the years. I'm still learning, but I also have containers and the ability to move them into a secure place if needed. Many home gardeners don't even transplant until the first or second week in June to avoid the possibility of a very late freeze. I think the biggest spring obstacle here is severe weather, which really ramps up in May through June. Hail is extremely common, even daily during particularly nasty periods, though I'm thankful it's rarely larger than a marble. For this reason, I've purchased a 12'x100' foot of 30% shade cloth which I understand works very well at protecting against hail. I plan to cover the entire garden with it during the times I won't be home in May and June. Once the plants are well-established, I won't worry too much about them. I escaped hail almost entirely last season (one small storm in the first week of June and that was it all summer), but I know that was just good luck and I need to be better prepared this season. With our weather here, it's never good to assume anything.

Good info. I agree being more worried about freezing temps vs snow.

Best of luck and hopefully not much damage or hurt on the crops. I know cold weather can stunt growth. Been through that many times.

Just saw this tweet from Colorado. Hahaha.

https://twitter.com/WilliamMScherer/...11209238708225

Old 04-29-2016, 08:31 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Thank you, Inui! I use THESE grow lights, which I've now had for a couple of years and which were much less expensive than they are now (I think I paid around $50 each). I really like them because they are lightweight, free-standing, easily adjusted and portable. I have 6 of the 4' versions and 2 of the 2' versions. During the week I harden the plants off, I bring them upstairs and take hostage the dining table so I don't have to lug the trays of plants up and down the basement stairs.

I've included a photo below of the set-up (16' long, 2' deep). I just have the lights lined up on some 4'x2' shelving units we purchased at Lowe's and it works perfectly as a waist-high work platform. I store my canning and seedling supplies on the shelves below. It's absolutely more than ideal for my needs - better than I had initially anticipated. Though it hasn't necessarily been the least expensive process acquiring everything (probably around $600 for everything), I don't have to do anything different and should have this set up for as long as I want it. I use a couple of outlet strips and electric timers (set to turn on at 6:00am and turn off at 10:00pm) to plug them in and that's that.

Just for fun, I've included a few photos of the dinner I prepared last night. I wish the peppers and onions were from my garden (SOON, though!), but the dwarf pak choys ARE from my garden and BOY did they just take this stirfry over the top! I just LOVE utilizing home grown veggies!

Inui, if you're interested in a more elaborate description of my set-up, PM me and I will send you whatever information you'd like to know.
Ur pix...I haz a jealous!

Old 04-30-2016, 05:53 AM

205 posts, read 272,450 times
Quote:

Gosh Nick, looking at those pictures, I bet dinner was great! Like you, we love eating from our garden. In summertime, I almost feel like a vegetarian, but then we add some chicken sausage and I feel better...

Old 05-01-2016, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsdamBear83 View Post
Gosh Nick, looking at those pictures, I bet dinner was great! Like you, we love eating from our garden. In summertime, I almost feel like a vegetarian, but then we add some chicken sausage and I feel better...
nobody does it quite like Nick. His garden is so unbelievable. We too love our summer garden or if not out our garden the local Farmers market.

I got a lot of tips from Nick last year, the only problem, we had so much rain, our garden turned to a jungle as did almost everyone's in our region.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:41 AM

38 posts, read 70,003 times
Quote:

Thanks for the pictures, Nick. That's a great setup. I may PM you with a few questions.
I'm thinking of preparing something for next winter (but on a smaller scale).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden