Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 05:28 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times

Advertisements

Does this not exist? I'd like to find a gardening book that covers *everything* that can be grown in a hardy zone (specifically 7a) - from vegetables to fruits to flowers to bushes to trees. I haven't gardened much in my life, but that's because I haven't been able to in the places I've lived, and I went searching for such a book to begin to educate myself and I can't find it. A sort of encyclopedia set, if you will, that has each book cover a certain zone.

What am I missing? (Besides the book.) Why hasn't someone done this? Or have they?

I know I could mash things together from the internet, but I want a book that's going to get down and dirty with me in the garden.

Anyone? Please tell me there's an encyclopedia-type of book like this. Or a set of books for each zone, if a single zone book would be too cumbersome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
There are thousands of books that cover gardening and the various zones ...

but what really counts for you is the information specific to your 7a Zone.

You can google that to find hundreds of books on the topic, plus you've got many local and national suppliers for plants and seeds that have published what and how to do to garden in your Zone. You have but to ask for most of these and you'll get more info than you ever imagined ... it's a very big business with all the big name players as well as the Mom & Pop small operators.

But I'd start by visiting your local County Extension office, where you'll typically find a wealth of information that is local knowledge about what you can grow, how to grow it, and what to do to maximize your production or landscaping ... specific to your climate, soils ... everything you'll need to know is there and for the asking. Perhaps they even have a Master Gardener training program available at minimal cost which will give you formal training into the local horticulture.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:32 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
The USDA zones are based solely on average low winter temps. They do not reflect *at all* seasonal precipitation patterns, precipitation amounts and types, soil types, high temps, or solar intensity. So a book on zone 7a would have little more precision than any general gardening book. Here in Washington, zone 7a is a significantly different growing environment than zone 7a in Virginia or zone 7a in Oklahoma or zone 7a in Nevada.

If you live in the western states, the Sunset Garden Book uses a system of some 30 zones which takes all these factors into account. It's *very* useful. They've said they intend to expand their system to include more states, but I'm not holding my breath - it is a very laborious undertaking.

Your best bet is a regional gardening book or a really good local gardening blog. If you tell us where you live, we can probably make some recommendations.

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-27-2016 at 03:46 AM..

Old 01-27-2016, 05:27 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
I have found the State and County Extension office brochures to be excellent sources. Moat are nw available online, you can also go to the office and talk to people in person.
Also When I lived in Oklahoma I found the Oklahoma State University had excellent online resources for gardeners

Old 01-27-2016, 06:17 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
But the OP wants a BOOK. Me, too. With pictures!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:07 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
I don't know of any such thing, and it doesn't seem doable, quite frankly. Your zone only tells you so much about the growing conditions in your area. It tells you nothing about rainfall, for example, or day length, or the acidity of the soil, or elevation, or so many other factors that determine what plants will grow in your area. I just compared a USDA hardiness map with an annual rainfall map for the US, and rainfall for the zone I live in ranges from 5 inches per year to 60 inches. A book that covered such diverse conditions would not be able to get into specifics and would not be very helpful.

Have you considered looking for books on gardening I your region instead? That might be more useful.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:44 AM

Ah. Thank you. Just goes to show how much I know. lol. I understand now why a zone specific book would not be useful, as it needs to be zone and particular locale. Was hoping for easy (with pics!), and simple directions for soil, water, etc. Alas, not so easy. Noob embarassment!

Again, thank you. Will check out more local information.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Ah. Thank you. Just goes to show how much I know. lol. I understand now why a zone specific book would not be useful, as it needs to be zone and particular locale. Was hoping for easy (with pics!), and simple directions for soil, water, etc. Alas, not so easy. Noob embarassment!

Again, thank you. Will check out more local information.
Noob embarrassment isn't allowed in gardening - asking questions is good. One book you might want to check out is the Sunset National Garden book. Sunset breaks up the US into more precise climate zones than the USDA hardiness zones, and they take more of the factors I mentioned in my first post. It's been awhile since I've seen the guide, but from what I remember it covers all 24 Sunset zones, and lists plants that grow well in each zone. It is a good reference for commonly grown garden plants in each zone. Sunset also offers regional guides that you might want to check out.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:20 PM

Thanks AminWi! Will check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden