Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 05:52 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Where getting hit with tent caterpillars here. Little pieces of leaves falling everywhere. Last year the west end of LI got clobbered.
Whoa.. I have to look that up. The other day I thought it was September, leaves were all over my yard and were falling from the trees, and small ones. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 05:58 AM

May 30, 2016

Everything so green and lush now. Another torrential downpour overnight as if its the rain forest.

2.5" of rain fell in last 8 hours.

5.05" (128mm) for the month of May now. May will end up warmer and wetter than normal after being coldest start on record.

Tomatoes. Gotta love clay soils.

Pepper! And of course something chewing the edges of the leaves. Lets see if that Insecticidal soap works.

My potted herbs. I never know how they survive downpours, Poor little things

Old 06-01-2016, 05:36 AM

June 1, 2016

First... a summary of May

Started as one of the coldest first weeks of May on record and ended with one of the hottest last weeks of May on record. Ended up above normal with temps and above normal with rainfall.

Record number of cloudy days in the beginning. Only 3 days being in the 70s with full sun. It was either 50s/60s or 80s/90s.

My Highest Temp was 90.3 on the 28th
Lowest temp was 39.7 on the 16th
Total Rain: 5.21"

Was using wood stove everyday for heat 1st 7 days. A/C everyday to cool last 7 days.

Planted everything in ground 1 week later then usual

Old 06-01-2016, 05:43 AM

Potatoes looking awesome. No beetles around whatsoever.

Looks like my spray solution working? New leaves not being eaten

Maybe not. UGH! So I added dish soap into the Canola Oil-Water mix and sprayed again. If that doesn't work I have to buy something.

I think I found the culprit! WTF?

fava Beans flowering but do you see anything?

How about now, anything? No?

Seriously????? Some of the ants actually just died on the leaf. WTF!?

I don't even know if they died on the stem too or if that's a disease.

Not a good start this year. Too many challenges with bugs and pests. The Rabbit didn't even come back to use the hole she dug.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:51 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Aphids and ants. That's a classic combo.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:35 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Potatoes looking awesome. No beetles around whatsoever.

Looks like my spray solution working? New leaves not being eaten

Maybe not. UGH! So I added dish soap into the Canola Oil-Water mix and sprayed again. If that doesn't work I have to buy something.

I think I found the culprit! WTF?

fava Beans flowering but do you see anything?

How about now, anything? No?

Seriously????? Some of the ants actually just died on the leaf. WTF!?

Not a good start this year. Too many challenges with bugs and pests. The Rabbit didn't even come back to use the hole she dug.

oh wow bad is right no bunnys this year either sad I hope things change I have had the worst case of blossom end rot this year I lost 3 tomatoes to it and I took the other tomatoes off the plant and have them in a bag to ripen thank god they were big enough to take and I destroyed the plant .I don't know what is going on this year with the diseases and all the rain we have had . I'm ready to pull my hair out , now my flowers are doing wonderful but my squash took a crap too .

Old 06-02-2016, 04:10 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Those black things on the main stem are aphids. They suck the sap from the plant, and the ants 'farm' and protect them for the syrup they produce. You need to get some ladybird larvae (which love to eat aphids), or spray them with an insect killer or soapy water. If you leave them they will eventually infest the plant, killing it and then spreading to other plants.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:19 AM

Happy to report my homemade free Organic spray seems to be working! Fava Beans and Pepper plants don't have new chew marks on them. Thank You Google!

I will spray one more time after the rains this weekend.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:24 AM

June 3, 2016

Do you know why I plant Radishes next to cucumbers?

They deter beetles. Worked very well last year. Crazy amount of Cukes.

See them?

Campari Tomato first to flower

But notice the Eggplants and Bell Peppers on the left. No real growth from them. here we go. Being the leaves are light in color I will add a nitrogen based fertilizer to green them up.

Cloudy & coolish today with chance of showers.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:50 AM

Remember what I said about weather in May being the crucial month???

I knew it felt slower & less advanced this year.

Ok, are you ready for a "Ummm, wow" moment?

Tomatoes This year on left, last year on right.

I even had Tomatoes on the plants by this time last year!!

Peppers: This year on the left, last year on the right. Peppers were already on the plants last yr by now!

Bell Peppers. This year on left, last year on right and even earlier last year!

Cucumbers. This year on left, last year on right. EVERYTHING WAS MORE ADVANCED!

Case in point... even after a historic never experienced cold and snow last year February and March, May ended up above normal and warm and sunny which was better for the crops.

This year didn't matter we had a warm winter and March, May started out record cold, cloudy, no sun, rainy and even last week of May being record warm, it didn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden