Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 09:26 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times

Advertisements

Last week, I had a massive blue spruce tree removed from the front yard. Here is a photo from last summer:

Here is what it looks like today: (the stump will be ground within the next few days)

Now that the large tree is gone, I want to work on some curb appeal, and am currently thinking about planting a pink dogwood approximately on center with the right-hand porch column, and about 12-13 feet away from the house. I'd then like to extend the planting bed to surround the new tree, while leaving a strip of grass along the neighbors' driveway for them to walk on. Also, they hire someone in the winter to plow and salt their drive, so I'd need to keep that in mind, so the salt and piles of snow don't kill what I plant.

I want to plant a smaller, ornamental tree, because there's a park across the street, and I don't want to completely block those views.

Here are some questions:
1. Do you have any other tree suggestions for that location? (I'm in zone 6, the house faces west, there is a large maple tree in the neighbors' yard that allows filtered sun.)
2. How much should I worry about salt affecting the tree?
3. Would you tweak the location of the tree? Should I plant it closer to the house, and keep it from touching the house with pruning?
4. Any suggestions for shrubs and/or perennials to plant under and around the new tree?

Here is a morning photo, showing the context, and neighbors' trees: (I wish the owners of my house had planted a nice shade tree similar to my neighbors' trees, instead of a blue spruce directly in the center of the yard, making it almost unusable.)

I have some idea of what I'm doing when it comes to choosing plants and trees, and I have some idea of what I want to do in the front yard. But, I always appreciate a fresh perspective, so any help you can give is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 09:37 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
We had to the same thing a few weeks ago. I have no recommendation, right now Mrs. NBP and I are at an impasse. I want to put in something like a weeping cherry, she wants a shade tree.

Which is fine, except we'll never get the benefit of that shade due to our ages.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Thanks!

I would like a shade tree, like the neighbors', but there are too many overhead wires that it would interfere with.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:36 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
I did the same thing recently.

I chose to replace it with a Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" variety.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:10 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Pink dogwoods are my favorite tree, so I would never say not to plant one (I have planted 3 dogwoods in my yard ... 1 pink, 1 red, and 1 pink-phased Kousa). However, given the color of your house and the two on either side, a white dogwood might be a better choice.

In either case, I would put it probably within 15 feet of the porch to give it room to develop that wispy, airy look that unpruned dogwoods get. It will also prevent worry about roots getting into your foundation (I had to cut down my glorious weeping cherry in my front yard because the previous homeowners planted it too close to the house).

I would place the tree a bit further left of the right porch post if the homeowner next door uses a lot of salt. When the tree is small, you can protect the tree with plastic fastened to wooden or plastic stakes on the driveway side

Old 05-05-2016, 04:22 PM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Pretty street and Summer looking.

How about a Weeping Cherry Tree? Would be the prettiest tree on the block in the Spring. Doesn't go too high but will provide some shade. Nice Cascading tree.

In winter I would definitely protect the trunk from Street plows and salt. Maybe mulch heavy too so the salt doesn't seep into soil?

FYI .. If a Spruce was there, I would recommend testing the soil first. You might need to replace a lot of it if its acidic and your new tree doesn't like that

Old 05-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

This is a photo I took of a house just around the corner, several years ago. I'm pretty sure that's a dogwood, right? I'm sort of aiming for a similar look, but putting the tree on the right.

I'm not too worried about salt. If you go back and look at the current photo of my house, (2nd photo from the top) and look closely at the grass by the driveway, you can see that it's not doing well. But, I wouldn't plant the tree that close, anyway, and would probably keep it more like 8-10 feet away, instead of 5. I just wanted to be sure that a dogwood wasn't extremely sensitive to salt.

Also, Linda_d, I had a Kousa dogwood at my previous house, and it was great. But I already have an ornamental pear at the street, so I don't want another tree with white flowers.

I'll also consider the Japanese maple suggestion. I probably won't consider a weeping cherry tree, though. They are beautiful trees, but I just prefer the more horizontal look that you can get with dogwoods or maples.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:18 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
I would definitely NOT plant it in line with the right porch column. That would put it too close to the neighbor's yard. Regardless of the potential salt impacts, if the tree happens to grow into their yard space they would have the right to cut it back.

I'd go more for in between the right column and the middle one. I would also place it further from the house--but you should better gauge that once you get the tree on-site, before you plant it.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
I would ask at a couple of local plant nurseries. They can give you the best advice and will probably even test a soil sample for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden