Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:34 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I have a gas saw but am a big fan of the new electric chainsaw I just got. Sure, the cord is slightly annoying but everything else is 100% more pleasant while using it.
Glad you're liking that new saw! My son-in-law swears by his!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
.... Out of my peripheral vision I spotted something coming at me....It is just that it fell straight to the ground like an arrow; with the tips of the limb facing upwards... I have also cut trees that I thought were solid; only to find out the center was hollow or rotten....
Point well taken, but most of this has nothing to do with chain saws. It relates to logging, which can be done with a variety of tools, and carries its own dangers.

I was a mere lad of 14 when a chain saw was first placed in my hands. Today, at age 69, I still use chain saws. That is 55 years of injury-free work, enabled by a very useful tool.

If you want to swap stories of injuries, I can tell you some good ones involving angle grinders, winches, and circular saws. But what's the point? Another fool is born every minute, and failure to properly learn about the tool, the craft (logging) and to wear the right safety gear, will eventually result in an accident.

Automobiles cause more injuries and deaths every year than chain saws ever have, or ever will. It's like a gun -- don't blame the tool for human stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 09:44 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
My Dad pruned away the top of a cedar tree with a chainsaw when he was about 88 years old. Not that long ago. I almost croaked when my mother told me about it. The last time he used power tools was in the Spring, he's 93 this year. He's always been meticulous about safety, but it's still enough to give me a heart attack just thinking about it.

Workers used to manual labour are often extremely safety-conscious. With good reason.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:53 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
I can't stress enough how dangerous chain saws are when placed in the hands of someone with a "little" experience.

Nevermind the falling limbs, bees nests etc. The saw itself is a death machine. The proof is that in some markets insurance companies will no longer insurance anyone to use one without the full and proper training and testing. Just too many people injurying themselves and others.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:10 AM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Trees that someone has started on, then given up on, and just left. That's something I've found in the woods.

Just visualise this; A tree, (about 30 feet tall), cut about five feet from the ground, all the way through, but it's balancing on another tree, just waiting to fall on an unsuspecting passer by.

Chainsaw in wrong hands, I think.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:51 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Glad you're liking that new saw! My son-in-law swears by his!

Point well taken, but most of this has nothing to do with chain saws. It relates to logging, which can be done with a variety of tools, and carries its own dangers.

I was a mere lad of 14 when a chain saw was first placed in my hands. Today, at age 69, I still use chain saws. That is 55 years of injury-free work, enabled by a very useful tool.

If you want to swap stories of injuries, I can tell you some good ones involving angle grinders, winches, and circular saws. But what's the point? Another fool is born every minute, and failure to properly learn about the tool, the craft (logging) and to wear the right safety gear, will eventually result in an accident.

Automobiles cause more injuries and deaths every year than chain saws ever have, or ever will. It's like a gun -- don't blame the tool for human stupidity.
I am not blaming the tool; I love saws and am the same age as you + I started sawing about the same time. I have had some close calls and I am sure you have to. I even sold chainsaws for some time as well as have always sharpened them.

I started the thread because I want people aware of the dangers; not because I want to scare people from using chainsaws. I just want people to think and be careful.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:34 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Amazing, the damage that tree did!
Not so amazing by me. What do you expect to see when a tree falls on a house?

Old 06-14-2016, 03:04 PM

141 posts, read 171,706 times
My dad was cutting overhead with a chainsaw. It kicked right back into his face. It partially cut into his skull and into his nose. It took several hours to sew him up.

My cousin was killed when a tree fell on him while he was cutting.

Know what you're doing if you're going to use a chainsaw.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:17 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,524,808 times
My wife runs an Emergency Room at a New Mexico Hospital. Based on her experiences I am not allowed to operate a chainsaw--its the most dangerous of the common tools.

I did get a pole saw which is not nearly as effective. It does cut smaller limbs high up and it provides me a few seconds to go "Oh Wow" as the small branches bop me on the head.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:10 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
I dropped two oak trees about 14" or so in diameter, probably 25' tall, right in front of our house when we bought it.

Never had any experience with chain saws before that. Just browsed through advises on the net, went to HD, rented a saw, and did it.

No bracing the trees, no taking down branches. Just a wedge cut on the side opposite of the desired fall direction, a deep cut below that on the other side, and a push.

Did wear the hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe boots and gloves.

Only later did I realize how stupid - and lucky - I was.

I don't think I'd attempt doing this again. So many things could've gone wrong.

But it was fun

Old 06-15-2016, 12:30 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
The most amazing thing I've ever seen is a climber. There wasn't going to be any cherry picker or anything like it. The guy put on spikes and climbed the tree like a chimp. All but one of the upper branches fell where he intended. The earth shook when the trunk sections fell to the ground. He was really good.

I asked him how much to cut down a couple of small trees growing a few feet from the foundation. Forty bucks. Ahhh, English was his second language. Forty bucks it was.

He was not only an experienced tree cutter, he spoke a second language and was an astute businessman.

I've only trimmed some branches with the small electric chainsaw. I'm not going to find another way to hurt myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden