Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:51 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Quoting movie - It is actually very comfortable. And air conditioned.
The man dress! I actually have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 12:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I have seen gardeners in NOVA wear coveralls, look to be cotton, over shorts and a t-shirt when dealing with plant species like poison ivy. You could use disposable coveralls, too, but they are synthetic and do not breathe as well. Be sure to wear gloves and don't forget head protection. I would also secure your gloves with velcro straps, like cable ties, or even duct tape to prevent any chance of getting to exposed skin.

If you have a large amount of poison ivy, consider renting a goat as they love poison ivy. It can be tricky when dealing with vegetation that you do not want the goats to eat, but they do clear brush and love poison ivy, with no residual damage from chemicals, which can be a plus if you have an especially large area of poison ivy growth.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-18-2016, 12:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Not sure where to post this, but certainly not in the fashion section!!

I am cleaning up my yard, and there are large areas of poison ivy growth on the ground and vertically. I am used to a Florida climate and wearing flip flops all the time when I am out.

I have been fighting this habit subconsciously every time I go out.

The problem is, that the temps out here in the summer are generally 5-10 degrees hotter than Florida's in the summer and I get lazy and just throw on shorts and flip flops.

I ALWAYS end up with poison ivy a week later on all of the areas that I don't cover...usually between the toes from flip flops but on my legs as well.

What are the coolest clothes that I can wear which cover my entire body so that I can do lawn work around poison ivy?

I really feel like crap when I am not in shorts and it is 100 degrees plus out.

Please don't derail the thread with how to treat poison ivy remedies or it is best to wait until fall scenarios.

Thank you very much.
You should just check your wardrobe for long pants, shoes and sock. Is this so complicated. Wear what you have.

Or you could just buy a bottle of this stuff and wear shorts.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Bot...tag=slk03b1-20

Old 07-18-2016, 01:24 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
I don't have poison ivy, but we're all allergic to SOMETHING.

It's going to sound odd, and its not cheap
but if you go to a camping store like REI they sell extremely lightweight artifical fiber clothing that's made for trekking thru rainforest and jungle environments. I bought an outfit for my travels thru Central & South America, and the clothes really did make a difference.

work from 6am-9am, or just 2 hours before sunset.

pref #1 is to use power tools. The ability to do work QUICKLY is worth money.

pref #2 is to use long-handled tools. You should be using a sturdy metal rake, not down on your hands and knees with a hand-spade. I will full-on spray myself with the hose to stay cool.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:53 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Pretty much everyone in Texas?

Do what I do to avoid that kind of work. Hire someone. It sounds like a one time deal, anyway. It would be worth it to eradicate the poison ivy for good.
LOL, it's 97 and sticky here in NC today. I did my outdoor chore for the day before 8am.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:45 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Out of useless knowledge, I'll add something.
fez and turban are classic head cover for hot countries. It's not simply covering head though. reason fez is shaped the way it is, or turban folded so that it creates a sort of depression at the top was more sophisticated.
They'd place a water filled vessel up there and then immerse turban fabric edge into it. Then, due to capillarity, water starts soaking into turban and, as it evaporates, it cools down head.
There is always a reason people dress the way they are as, most of the times, it is caused by some practical aspect of life and proven by centuries.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:03 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
How humid is it where you are? If not TOO humid, soak a pair of pajamas with water. Wring out the excess water and put them on. Evaporation will cool your legs.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:35 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
we work outside all day, wear white, white thin pants, white shirt with sleeves, white hat with brim all the way around

Old 07-18-2016, 10:38 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
Medical scrub pants.

You're welcome.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:01 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Your problem is not with the clothes you wear, but with allowing the poison ivy to have infested your property. During the Winter season, put on rubber gloves and then heavy work gloves over those as well as work clothes you will double-wash in hot water afterwards. Rip up every last bit of the ivy and if it ever shows a single little sprout, immediately pull it. Anytime it has leaves above ground, it's sending energy to the roots and keeping them alive. Do this for two or three years and you may eliminate it.

Encourage or help your neighbors to do the same, as if they have it growing unchecked, it will be a reservoir that's constantly sending roots over to your place. This same policy applies to poisonoak in other parts of the country and English ivy. If you don't want to hear this advice, ignore it and keep on having a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden