Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 08:52 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,002 times

Advertisements

We recently had a failing dry stack replaced with a paver retaining wall. The project included 6 cap lights that are meant to flush the wall with downward light. Each light has 8 LED's in them.

The problem is that, while the proper color temperature with the rest of my landscape lighting, they're simply too bright (120 lumens each), and it's a bit too much from the road.

I want to figure out a way to tone them down (they're not dimmable). I'd love to find some kind of "filter" that I could attach to them that would diffuse them down a bit, take out some of the "bite" they cause.

Any ideas? Can I put a little paint on them? Maybe scuff the LED elements a bit? Anyone know of a company that sells "filters" for these things that allow for color/intensity changes?

Here's a couple of pictures of what I'm working with. In the picture of the actual retaining wall, the lights are located where you see some orange-looking cellophane taped on (was for Halloween decorations).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Dimming LED landscape lights?-img_6927.jpg   Dimming LED landscape lights?-img_6788.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 09:03 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Not knowing the composition of the lens it is hard to say. Maybe you could use some etching solution. Not sure that would dim them enough though.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:33 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Roscolene is the theatrical gel, but it can fade with time, although the neutral density filters are less prone to that. If you paint anything on a light, it is guaranteed to come out uneven, no matter how hard you try. The place looks high-end enough that the better option is to contact the manufacturer about how to properly dim them.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:55 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
How about some window tint like the DIY stuff for cars?

Old 11-14-2016, 06:31 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Are diffuser covers available? Those would help soften the light. Maybe someone forgot to add them.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
are your cap lights part of their own lighting circuit and the only LEDs you want to dim? Nor sure how your circuits are configured but I think any LED fixture/circuit is dimmable.

https://www.clarolux.com/blog/dim-yo...ghting-system/

Old 11-18-2016, 10:23 AM

Thanks all, sorry for missing the responses. I forgot about this one (been a long week).

Unfortunately I don't think the dimmer would work (but looks really cool!). They branched off of my main power line that is running nearby in the same mulch bed that is running the other LED lights in the yard.

The lights are attached to a bracket that is sandwiched between the stone caps. I took one out to look at it. They're substantial pieces of equipment. Brass and heavy. Each has 8 LEDS in them. I might be able to figure out some kind of diffuser to install over the bottom of them. But until then, I simply clipped the feed wire to three of them to calm things down, which has helped.

Sounds like a money maker idea here, and a little surprised it has already been invented. General snap-on diffusers for LED-based landscape lighting. Since the LED's don't get hot, no fire risk. Seems like a great idea, because now thanks to LED technology, it doesn't have to be just white light.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:07 PM

13,061 posts, read 7,500,158 times
You can add a resistor to the circuit, either just prior to or after the LED. LEDs are current devices.
Alternatively, try smoking the lense by oiling the lense and placing lense over a sooty/smokey sourse.
YMMV

Old 11-22-2016, 06:52 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
I like the idea of spray painting over the light face to reduce the intensity. You could even brush on a dilute 'stain' which would fade over time in case you decide it is too much. Even magic markers could dull the output. Too bad you had to cut the wires.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:39 PM

Thanks all! I tried the marker approach (sharpie), but the cover to the LED's is like a water proof soft rubber cover. Crude comparison (sorry), but it's almost like a 1/8 inch thick condom-type cover over the lights. The marker's ink wouldn't transfer over to the surface. Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to mess around with the one I took out of the wall. I like that idea of "smoking" them. That might work, but not sure how well it would survive being out in the elements of high wind and moisture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden