Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 AM

621 posts, read 3,206,694 times

Advertisements

Hi All-I have a few questions I hope you can help me with.....

First, let me say I know NOTHING about gardening, plants, and flowers, but I would like to learn. I recently purchased my first home and want to do some landscaping, but really have no idea where to start. I went to the garden center at HD and was completely overwhelmed . Could anyone recommend an easy "beginner" flower? There are so many choices. I like flowers that are very colorful and vibrant. I don't have a lot of space out front, but in the back I have plenty. I would like something simple and easy to take care of. I live in Northern Va, so we see all 4 seasons. The area does get a decent amount of sun, not so much shade. Also, when should I start planting? Could anyone also recommend a nice tropical plant for indoors that can tolerate a black thumb lol Thanks for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
For an indoor plant I would suggest a Pony Tail Palm...not a real palm tree but very interesting...I can't kill mine...(and I have tried!)
Not sure what your weather is like in VA right now...here I can't even start thinking of gardening till May . I would go to a local plant nursery...HD is good when you know a little more, a smaller place will take the time to help you...Good Luck....
PS Really.. start SMALL...don't get so much that you are overwhelmed...I speak from experiance! Now I'm trying to fix my mistakes and down size a little...

Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 AM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 850,968 times
Like Trudeyrose advised, a trip to your local nursery is the best place to start. At our nursery the plants are a few dollars more than HD or OSH but their employees have a wealth of knowledge about what grows best in our area and when to plant. Plus it seems to me that their plants are healthier. Good luck and have some fun!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Thank you both for your great advice. I am looking forward to this very much. I just remember when my Mom would try to get me to help her in the yard, but I refused. I always chose cleaning the whole house instead of that. Now, I'm looking forward to it. How things change as you grow lol.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I don't know a thing about gardening in Virginia but I suggest that when it's time to plant outside you do some easy flowers in containers. You can either buy started plants at the nursery or start with seeds. While nurseries are great resources, also check and see if there's an agricultural extension agency, botanical garden or garden clubs in your area because they are also good sources of info. and aren't trying to sell you anything. Read books, look up stuff on the internet, drive around and look at landscapes you like, talk to your neighbors.

Hold off on planting anything big, like a shade tree, until you've thought a bit about what you want your yard to look like a few years from now. You don't want to create a completely shaded yard if you want to grow vegetables later, etc. etc.

Have fun!

Old 02-28-2008, 04:46 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
"I would go to a local plant nursery...HD is good when you know a little more, a smaller place will take the time to help you"

I wholeheartedly second the above advice - local knowledge, local plants

Look in your neighbourhood too to see what is doing well and what you like.

There are lots of flowering shrubs and climbers which can be very satisfying to grow, and you can get one big plant for your money.

Also wild flower seed is easy, quick and copious flowers from one little packet! And the good bugs will be attracted to your garden by them.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 PM

Thanks everyone. I will definitely be sure to check out some local nursuries this weekend. I know of a few around my area, and have heard good things about them. And like the previous poster said I will start very small and simple . I don't want to go and get in way over my head and have a bunch of dead plants on my hand lol.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
Another thing you can do is walk around your neighborhood if you see a plant you like and the homeowners are out working in the yard you can ask them not only will this give you a chance to meet your new neighbors but plant folks love to talk about their plants. You will get a wealth of information as to what does well in your area from gardeners that have been using them.

you can also use you camera phone or camera to take pictures of plants in your areas that you like and take that to the nursery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden