Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:42 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Ah. I see you're in Canada so my post was redundant. Good luck! I am in Texas and have no idea on which plants do well in the cold north. !!
They live in GA, that's Georgia, USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 04:11 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
If you are looking for something that is well mannered, and grows in semi to full shade, you might want to consider Climbing Hydrangea. It's flowers are short lived, but the personal interest of this plant (IMO) far outweighs that shortcoming. It will be a slow starter in zone 8, but once established it takes care of itself. Bloom time in your area would be around May-June. Here's a couple of photos of mine, which is now going on fifteen years old. It has been growing on that fence all this time and has done no damage to it like a lot of other climbers like wisteria or trumpet vine.

This was taken in June, and as you can see the flowers will mature in another week or two.

Don't be alarmed be how unruly mine looks. That is how I choose to prune it for underplantings. Speaking of which, it can be pruned back anytime of the year with no harm done once it's established.

Here's a zoomy shot of it's trunk. Once trained it can pretty much support itself.

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.o...empercode=d370

Old 03-06-2017, 06:31 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Since you are in Georgia, I would use Carolina Jessamine. It is evergreen and has lovely yellow flowers in late winter and spring. It is a fast grower and will easily cover your arbor. Others suggested clematis, but it dies back every year, and would look bad all winter.
You could also plant a summer flowering vine with the Carolina Jessamine so you have flowers most of the year.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:35 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
OP if the plants get shade in the morning and sun only in the afternoon, that may count as basically full sun. In GA summers, some plants may burn or suffer in afternoon sun. Morning sun has low intensity. Afternoon sun has high intensity.

So plants for shade or part shade may do best if they get morning sun. But if they get afternoon sun, that is the hot sun and they may burn. I'd consider that a "mostly sunny" location. This may be most true for the south where it is hotter in general.

Having said that, I like some of the suggestions such as clemantis and passiflora. Maypop is one passionflower that is native to GA and reportedly has medicinal properties. It is also the host plant for a very pretty butterfly. Mine died , but I heard it can be aggressive.

I'd suggest the following vines that are in afternoon sun (S/SW facing) in my yard:
Native Wisteria Frutescens (I just got the WHITE one from woodlanders this year YAY)
Don Juan Climbing Rose (LOVE this rose, but took a year or two to get going)
Major Wheeler native honeysuckle.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:48 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"wisteria"....never plant this in anything but a concrete drainage pipe, placed 4' deep...unless you want this vine to take over everything in sight. The roots will run 40 to 50', just under the surface of the soil. I have pulled up hundreds of yards of roots in my backyard, which had been neglected prior to my arrival. There is no doubt wisteria is pretty when in bloom, but it is difficult to constrain.

Regaqrds
Gemstone1
Most of the wisteria you see that has grown wildly out of control is Chinese wisteria (W.chinensis), I've seen it totally cover mature trees. I just bought a property that was so overrun with it that I finally had to hire someone with a Bobcat to come clear it for me.

The native wisteria (W.frutescens) is much smaller and better behaved, the most popular cultivar is 'Amethyst Falls'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden