Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 07:34 PM

300 posts, read 238,460 times

Advertisements

It seems that little by little corporations are taking over the mail-order industry of plants and vegetables, and buying off the small- garden farmers. The shipping charge of plants have sky-rocketed, I am beginning to see that many places are offering bareroot plants. I guess because it is easier to ship them, and the cost is less for them, but not for the buyer. Usually, they offer more than one root per purchase, I am assuming, if one those do not grow you have the other one.

Last year, I tried them and planted four, not one of them took off. The company replace them, and the same thing happened.

What is your take on bareroots? Have you planted any, and if so, where you successful? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 11:01 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
I planted 25 bare root strawberry plants last year and they did great. I have also planted many bare root fruit trees and they also have done well. It is important not to let the roots dry out before planting, and then plant the them in a nice loose planting mix.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:18 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post

....... Last year, I tried them and planted four, not one of them took off. The company replace them, and the same thing happened.

What is your take on bareroots? Have you planted any, and if so, where you successful? Thank you,
I've purchased bare-root plants off and on for 65 years. No problems so far.

Did you plant yours immediately upon receiving them? What did you do to prep your bare root plants and their beds when you planted them?

Old 03-08-2017, 06:29 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,117 times
I've never had any trouble with bareroot plants. I've planted strawberries, pecans, blueberries, raspberries, mulberries and persimmons this way. I'd take a bareroot plant or unrooted cutting over a rootbound garden center plant any day.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:33 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Other things being equal, bareroot plants usually do better than transplants - if treated correctly, they suffer less from transplant shock, and their root systems are better because they were never confined to a container.

OP, like others, I wonder how you treated them. But I also wonder about your source. Quality varies, and some retailers buy "seconds" from wholesalers and pass them on to you.

And it's the other way around - bareroot plants (and balled-and-burlapped) are the traditional way(s) to sell plants. Container plants didn't become a "thing" until the advent of plastic containers. Garden books from the 30s and 40s (and earlier) are full of advice on these topics.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have had good luck with locally sourced bare root trees and plants. The few times I have tried mail order, they did survive, the problem is not seeing what you get ahead of time. As it turns out, an advertised 3' tall Japanese Maple (for example) turns out to be a 3' long rooted cutting stick, with no branches on it. When you go to a garden center/nursery (or even Home Depot) you see what you are getting. I would only use internet/mail order for something not available locally, though I often will buy when on a road trip to a warmer climate to pick up plants we don't sell here because of the climate.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:43 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have had good luck with locally sourced bare root trees and plants. The few times I have tried mail order, they did survive, the problem is not seeing what you get ahead of time. As it turns out, an advertised 3' tall Japanese Maple (for example) turns out to be a 3' long rooted cutting stick, with no branches on it. When you go to a garden center/nursery (or even Home Depot) you see what you are getting. I would only use internet/mail order for something not available locally, though I often will buy when on a road trip to a warmer climate to pick up plants we don't sell here because of the climate.
I think this depends on source.

For instance, in our neck of the woods, I would mail order fruit-producing plants from Raintree or Territorial before I'd buy from Home Depot or W*Mart.

I have gotten good plants from big box stores, but it helps to know how long they've been on the shelf and/or know what you're looking at.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:07 AM

300 posts, read 238,460 times
Default To: Jacqueg and Zoisite

You asked what I did before planting the bare roots: I placed them in water for about two hours, then I planted them in a 14" pot, since I am a container gardener, and put them in about four inches deep, with potting and garden soil, some peat moss, and water them again.

However, the zone 7 area where I live, gets lots of rain, so the roots could have drowned or rotted. However, the place where I bought them American Meadows, and excellent company, were very kind to replaced them all, and again the same thing happened. I never use fertilizer, when I first plant.

You both have been very gracious with your comments, so please, let me know, if you think I should have done something differently......I am always willing to learn from others......thank you,

Old 03-09-2017, 01:14 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
What type of bare root plant did you plant in a 12" pot ? Is your plant suited to being potted ? Was there ample room for the roots ? Did you plant at the proper depth (per the grower)? Did the potted plant receive the recommended sunshine ?

"where I live, gets lots of rain, so the roots could have drowned or rotted" with a proper pot, one with adequate drain holes, plants will not drown....but do not let the pot sit in a saucer filled with water for more than a day.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 03-09-2017, 02:48 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I've always have good luck with bare root plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden