Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:25 PM

6,358 posts, read 4,177,512 times

Advertisements

Today while at a medical center I spotted a bunch of 6 foot tall shrubs that I did not recognize.

Many of them were developing what looks like a fruit or flower and I have never seen this type of shrub before.

Last edited by Rickcin; 02-14-2021 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:38 PM

53 posts, read 59,628 times
This looks like some type of Magnolia. The thing in the center looks like a developing seed pod.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejhere View Post
This looks like some type of Magnolia. The thing in the center looks like a developing seed pod.
Ok, do there are magnolia bushes as well as magnolia trees? Thanks, I will research and check this out, thanks again!

Old 07-19-2017, 11:06 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,965 times
Does it grow in Virginia? Zone7? It looks very attractive and I am curious what it is? Can you post more picture?

Old 07-20-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Does it grow in Virginia? Zone7? It looks very attractive and I am curious what it is? Can you post more picture?
The shrubs are planted along a walkway in downtown Roanoke along a walk from the parking garage to the medical building. The shrubs are attractive, about 6 feet high and 4 feet wide.

Don't know when I will be back there but I will take some photos when I'm there next.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:17 AM

53 posts, read 59,628 times
Magnolias, esp. Chinese magnolias, when small can sometimes look shrub-like. Did you see the flowers earlier this year? If you are in VA varieties of magnolia would be hardy there, esp. in zone 7. I am in 6 and they are perfectly hardy here. My only concern is that the leaves are smooth. IIRC, Chinese magnolias usually have leaves that are not so smooth and are larger and darker.

Maybe this is some sort of native shrub?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:11 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
The photo does not look like any mag bud I am familiar with, fwiw...
Looks like a rhododendron bud of some varietal, though why it isn't bloomed and gone by now in that clime, is a mystery.
GL, mD

Old 07-20-2017, 08:45 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,094,212 times
Southern Magnolia, 'Magnolia Grandiflora' Which actual variety? I couldn't say.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:38 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,616,978 times
You have me very curious. One main question. This bud. It looks gnarly, round and squat. Is it actually elongated if one had a side view? All the magnolias and other ideas I had in mind,the buds are at least a little elongated...just not round like this one appears to be from the top view.

An idea. I went through a neighborhood a couple of years ago and loved a particular plant the city had planted at the endcaps of the road dividers. Somehow that new development got some extra attention by the city with beautiful trees and well tended tiny gardens in the median.

I called the city. They may have referred me to the DOT in that city but it was a number local to that city. The guy in charge was actually excited that someone passing through town had taken note of the landscaping he was in charge of. He looked up what they had put in that area and told me what it was.

So you might try calling someone. In your case, healing type places often have very intentional landscaping. I looked up hospitals where you said this was and came up with Carillion among others. They actually have a guest services desk you could try. And they do have a Healing Garden. You might find some of the people who arranged plantings who would be happy to share whatever they know. While it may not be the precise roadway, they often know what else is around.

You could also contact that area's Garden Club. I do know Va is famous for their garden week so they are big on garden clubs. You may get someone who knows right away what those pretty bushes are.

Looking forward to finding out when you find out.

All the best.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:26 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Southern Magnolia, 'Magnolia Grandiflora' Which actual variety? I couldn't say.
Yes, good call!...the bud was just so under developed, almost rhodie like, but way too late for rhodie buds in VA, et al.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden