Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:55 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,175,527 times

Advertisements

I have been using several different products and I am still having issues killing lawn weeds.

First I used Lebanon Broadleaf Weed Killer with Trimec, a granular product.

Then I tried Turflon Ester, a liquid treatment and its killing the Black Medic clover but it not so great at killing other weeds. This product is a liquid and applied with a pump sprayer.

I have read about the Bayer Lawn Weed Killer but the reviews are not that great. I would love to find just one good product to deal with the weeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 12:45 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I have been using several different products and I am still having issues killing lawn weeds.

First I used Lebanon Broadleaf Weed Killer with Trimec, a granular product.

Then I tried Turflon Ester, a liquid treatment and its killing the Black Medic clover but it not so great at killing other weeds. This product is a liquid and applied with a pump sprayer.

I have read about the Bayer Lawn Weed Killer but the reviews are not that great. I would love to find just one good product to deal with the weeds.
You won't find one weed killer that kills all weeds. To prevent crabgrass, most experts recommend a pre-emergent herbicide. Many are granular but a few are liquid that can be sprayed pre-emergent or postemergent. I would stay away from any other granular weed killers such as a weed and feed product. They have to be applied when the grass is wet and you're not expecting rain.

Most broadleaf weeds such as dandelions can be killed with most brands (Bayer, Ortho, etc.) of liquid weed killer. You may have to spray several times to get all the weeds.

The more difficult weeds are chickweed, which was all over my yard this spring, crabgrass, goose grass, quackgrass, creeping Charlie, also know as ground ivy and many others. One chemical is not effective against just these listed weeds. Some require a pre-emergent in the spring such as goosegrass. Once it takes hold in your yard, a post-emergent herbicide is required and is not generally effective in controlling this weed. Crabgrass is another weed that post-emergent weed killers are not very effective.

I purchased four weed herbicide products online this year. All had very high reviews on Amazon. None of these week killers have been effective against most weeds. The Creeping Charley seems to be immune to all weed killers, or the stuff I spray dies and new stuff pops out of the ground to replace it.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:00 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Start early with the pre-emergent then spot treat with the other products. Weeds are what keep lawn services in business so you will never totally rid yourself of them.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You won't find one weed killer that kills all weeds. To prevent crabgrass, most experts recommend a pre-emergent herbicide. Many are granular but a few are liquid that can be sprayed pre-emergent or postemergent. I would stay away from any other granular weed killers such as a weed and feed product. They have to be applied when the grass is wet and you're not expecting rain.

Most broadleaf weeds such as dandelions can be killed with most brands (Bayer, Ortho, etc.) of liquid weed killer. You may have to spray several times to get all the weeds.

The more difficult weeds are chickweed, which was all over my yard this spring, crabgrass, goose grass, quackgrass, creeping Charlie, also know as ground ivy and many others. One chemical is not effective against just these listed weeds. Some require a pre-emergent in the spring such as goosegrass. Once it takes hold in your yard, a post-emergent herbicide is required and is not generally effective in controlling this weed. Crabgrass is another weed that post-emergent weed killers are not very effective.

I purchased four weed herbicide products online this year. All had very high reviews on Amazon. None of these week killers have been effective against most weeds. The Creeping Charley seems to be immune to all weed killers, or the stuff I spray dies and new stuff pops out of the ground to replace it.
Ok, I hear you and was hoping that I could find the one perfect Weed Killer and I am now learning from you that just one product will not work on all different types of weeds. It's just so ironic because many of the weed killers have a list as long as your leg as to weeds they kill.

The Turflon Ester does do a good job at killing the Black Medic, Clover and Creeping Charlie but I cannot attest to its return, it's just too soon.

One additional question, is it better to spray individually to kill weeds or will a hose end sprayer work just as well?

Thanks

Old 08-09-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Start early with the pre-emergent then spot treat with the other products. Weeds are what keep lawn services in business so you will never totally rid yourself of them.
Good thing I am retired and enjoy working in the yard since it seems Killing weeds could be a full time job!

Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Ok, I hear you and was hoping that I could find the one perfect Weed Killer and I am now learning from you that just one product will not work on all different types of weeds. It's just so ironic because many of the weed killers have a list as long as your leg as to weeds they kill.

The Turflon Ester does do a good job at killing the Black Medic, Clover and Creeping Charlie but I cannot attest to its return, it's just too soon.

One additional question, is it better to spray individually to kill weeds or will a hose end sprayer work just as well?

Thanks
I use a two gallon sprayer and spray weeds individually. Most of these weed killers say to use on a calm day. A hose end sprayer will put more mist into the air and you're more likely to inhale these chemicals.

I looked into the Turflon Ester. It is expensive ($47.36 for 16 oz.) and very concentrated. You might look into using a surfactant to help the weed killer stick to the seeds. This one is highly recommended: https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-S...1AG5KB1PT441DH

Old 08-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I use a two gallon sprayer and spray weeds individually. Most of these weed killers say to use on a calm day. A hose end sprayer will put more mist into the air and you're more likely to inhale these chemicals.

I looked into the Turflon Ester. It is expensive ($47.36 for 16 oz.) and very concentrated. You might look into using a surfactant to help the weed killer stick to the seeds. This one is highly recommended: https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-S...1AG5KB1PT441DH
Excellent point about the hose end sprayer because it's virtually all airborne and not good for the plants and shrubs.

Also, I thank you for the Surfactant recommendation, I had no idea this product existed other than reading that some people add soap to their pump sprayers to increase adhesion to the weeds destined to be killed.

Thanks again!

Old 08-09-2017, 02:04 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,919 times
Quote:
In a way, this is comforting to hear. I too have had little luck with weed spraying this year. Feared maybe I have some sort of super weed. Now it sounds like they're just normal.

I get water from a well on my property, and I fear weed killers might filter into the well, so I may just live with the weeds. At least they're green!

Old 08-09-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
In a way, this is comforting to hear. I too have had little luck with weed spraying this year. Feared maybe I have some sort of super weed. Now it sounds like they're just normal.

I get water from a well on my property, and I fear weed killers might filter into the well, so I may just live with the weeds. At least they're green!
I believe there are some non chemical ways to kill weeds so if you google it you will find some natural remedies and might have to buy some white vinegar and or be sure to drink bottled water!

Old 08-09-2017, 03:18 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,919 times
The problem with the "non-chemical" ways is that they often involve household chemicals that can stay in, and damage the soil, so be careful. White vinegar, for example, can acidify the soil. Salt can sterilize it. So be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden