Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 05:47 PM

166 posts, read 244,334 times

Advertisements

My brother warmed me about using Roundup when I visited him in the Caribbean last year. He's an Agriculturist; he says it's banned in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 09:27 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothwells mum View Post
We just torch our weeds - works well, no scary Roundup chemicals and its kind of fun.
I pull them out by hand, a lot of work and time consuming
but works best for me, I see a weed...I automatically pull.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:59 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygreeneyes View Post
My brother warmed me about using Roundup when I visited him in the Caribbean last year. He's an Agriculturist; he says it's banned in Europe.
I hate Monsanto. I will never use any product of theirs.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:08 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I use Glyphosate on the poison ivy starts in my yard every spring. Works like a charm. There are dozens and dozens. I don't have to touch them. Just a few drops on the leaves is enough.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:10 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygreeneyes View Post
First let me say that I detest Monsanto for the tactics they use/have used.

Next, not saying your brother is wrong, but perhaps he is mistaken...ask for a link to support his claim that glyphosate is banned in "Europe".

From my brief research, I have not found such a report...there are however a few countries that have outright banned glyphosate, and others have placed restrictions on the use of the chemical as of one year ago....but darned few.

EU to propose 10-year licence renewal for weed killer glyphosate
May 17, 2017.

With the stranglehold Monsanto and their Lobbyists have on the EPA and FDA, I predict that Roundup/glyphosate will never be banned in the US.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-17-2017, 05:43 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I walked around the streets in my neighborhood to see if other driveways and walkways had the same Nostoc growing. Nope didn't see any other driveway with the algae problem.....

Also the lake I live nearby still has algae blooms in it and my driveway does not. Once I stopped using Roundup on my driveway, the Nostoc disappeared, no coincidence in my boo.
Good-- you have a "control group" (the driveways without herbicide) to compare to your "experimental group" (your drive with herbicide). And, the invader was still present in the lake, so that eliminates some other factor like weather etc as the problem.

From this we can conclude that the herbicide had something to do with the change in flora of your drive.

We can't conclude, however, that avoiding the use of Round-Up is keeping the thing away because you also changed the local soil chemistry by adding the baking soda. You essentially increased the salinity and now few, if any, plants will grow there. Eventually rain will wash that sodium away and you'll see growth again.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:56 PM

486 posts, read 992,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Peebola, thanks for the Syracuse news link above. They haven't released information yet about what strain it is (it says the results will be forthcoming next week) so if/when they do release that information could you please update this thread to let us know? I'm very interested to know what strain it is and whether or not they do confirm that it's one of the toxic strains. I hope it's not a toxic strain. Thanks muchly.
Wow, a news source actually followed up a news story (miracles happen). Here is the link to Syracuse.com which states "High toxins' confirmed in Skaneateles Lake algae bloom."

'High toxins' confirmed in Skaneateles Lake algae bloom | syracuse.com

Lovely photos of the algae bloom. I guess local governments may need to start taking the algae blooms seriously. Yes, this area has always had algae blooms in lakes, but I believe the blooms will be more prevalent in the future and perhaps more toxic. Call me crazy, I have been called worse.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:03 PM

486 posts, read 992,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Good-- you have a "control group" (the driveways without herbicide) to compare to your "experimental group" (your drive with herbicide). And, the invader was still present in the lake, so that eliminates some other factor like weather etc as the problem.

From this we can conclude that the herbicide had something to do with the change in flora of your drive.

We can't conclude, however, that avoiding the use of Round-Up is keeping the thing away because you also changed the local soil chemistry by adding the baking soda. You essentially increased the salinity and now few, if any, plants will grow there. Eventually rain will wash that sodium away and you'll see growth again.
True, somewhat. I have not used Roundup since May. It is now September and we have had rain since May, and still no Nostoc in my driveway. If I am still alive next May I will revive this thread and let you know if the Nostoc reappears after being dormant all summer/fall/winter.

I still say Roundup fueled the Nostoc in my driveway. BTW, I still get weeds in my driveway after I "changed my soil chemistry" in May. These are the same weeds I got in May before I used Roundup on the driveway. I just do not get Nostoc anymore. Seems crystal clear to me. But again maybe I am just pig-headed about my hate for Roundup.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Plenty of it on my property. I associate it with sparse ground cover rather than Roundup, although Roundup is obviously going to cause sparse ground cover. Places where I have never used Roundup have it as well - in areas with granite soils and rhizome grasses.

There's a plant for every condition, and the condition for nostoc seems to be wet with sparse groundcover.

It's been a wet year here and moss, mould, mildew and nostoc are just everywhere at present

Old 09-18-2017, 08:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I have used Roundup for years and have never seen any algae growth from it. I have seen jelly fungus on old rotten branches that fall out of trees though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden