Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 06:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes the ash tree disaster is a horrible event. We bought some wonderful forested property in the month of February some years ago. Come spring - ooops, those were ash trees. Do you know how expensive it is to remove 40 dead ash trees? Now we have a nice field with some thicket at the back.
I have four green ash and three white ash trees I planted at the back of my property a decade ago, I'm hoping they'll survive since ash trees aren't all that common around here. EAB would really have to have good radar to find them since my property is surrounded by pine plantation.

Regarding American elm, it seems like most of the DED resistant cultivars are from up north, I haven't found a single southern cultivar. They say the Princeton elm is good down to zone 9, but I find it hard to believe a tree from Connecticut would thrive down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 05:43 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes the ash tree disaster is a horrible event. We bought some wonderful forested property in the month of February some years ago. Come spring - ooops, those were ash trees. Do you know how expensive it is to remove 40 dead ash trees? Now we have a nice field with some thicket at the back.
that really sucks. this country is going to lose billions of ash trees, unfortunately. they are threatened with extinction, that's how bad it is.
Will We Kiss Our Ash Goodbye? - American Forests

the first time i saw an affected tree was outside detroit in around 2004. i never dreamed it would spread nationwide.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:35 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
looks like it's now in Europe too.
Emerald ash borer beetle on the march across Europe - BBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden