Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:45 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times

Advertisements

I am very opinionated about trees. LOVE them but they need to be carefully chosen for size and very carefully planted for location in a yard. A small yard owner should encourage their neighbor to plant a tree so the shade falls where they need it haha.

Right now in our home's yard we have only shrubby type trees not massive types. In a rental property we are selling soon I planted 3 trees, each on a different side of the property line in the back yard. I decided to sell because of zoning changes the county made so won't get to see them grow to full size. In Florida shade can be very beneficial, however having a large tree within falling distance to the roof is not good. Even if it does not fall in a hurricane you'll worry about it.

90% of people plant trees and other plants way too close to the house. You really need to envision the fully grown size when planting because cutting it down later is expensive.

I very much dislike a front yard with a tree blocking the house facade. Much better to have it off to the side, near the property line, nowhere near the roof.

Flowering trees are beautiful but again the best location is the neighbors yard, preferably in a place you can enjoy it looking out your window. When a flowering tree is in your yard you are too close to really enjoy it. Same is true for maples that change color beautifully. Plus they can do the leaf raking.

I plant trees all the time. Away.from. the. house. (I also love clumping bamboo).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 09:12 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Not all flowers like full sun. Some plants grow much better under a bit of shade.

Many trees, shrubs and flowers have evolved to live in harmony with each other, at their levels of height. It's not hard to determine which of them would be good matches with each other. Ask anyone who works at a plant nursery for advice about what would be best for your region.

I have Douglas firs, sequoias, spruce, native rhododendrons, Indian plums, wood violets, bleeding hearts and fawn lilies, in Western Oregon, along with some fruit trees, snowberries, sword ferns and gooseberry bushes. My whole property is a big hummingbird feeder.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:14 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Lawns must be mowed once a week.

Trees need only be raked once a year - ok maybe twice to get the straggling leaves.

Twinkle made a good point about not planting trees too close to the house. I made that mistake. My jacaranda is only 4 feet from the house. I should have planted it 6 to 7 feet away even though its primary purpose is early morning shade.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:15 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,206,292 times
Trees cause SO MUCH damage during storms. . . Or because they were planted improperly and the roots damage fences or sidewalks. . .

And I know several people who decided to trim their own and wound up with broken ribs, etc, when they fell off the ladder. It can be spendy to have them taken care of by professionals every year as well.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:24 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
Raking leaves? Even with my "urban forest" I NEVER rake a leaf! How you may ask? Well, it is called a nice riding mower with a mulching blade. It has an added bonus of fertilizing your lawn! Another way (along with the aforementioned "deep shade formula" fescue) that I have managed to maintain lawn areas in a rather shady lot.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:08 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Cons: roof damage or structural damage.
Attracts unwanted pests and animals. Timely pruning. Can rob the soil of nutrient of other plants.
Overgrowth can impede on neighbors area. Can also upend sidewalks and driveways. And yes when they fall ,they do make a sound!!

pros: good way for kids to learn to climb Some trees give wonderful fruits or nuts. Some trees are great for firewood. While I find them lovely in nature I haven't seen one in neighborhoods that didn't create problems years down the road..particularly after gusting winds or slashing powerlines...

Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I want one or the other, because maintaining both will be too much work. And shade trees will block the sun for flowers no matter how many.
Pick the one that requires the least amount of work for you, then.

I'd choose a lawn and flowers. You can get a riding mower to mow, there's no riding tree trimmer!!!

But YOU have to decide if YOU want to see the neighbors then.

If you want flowers too, there's your answer.

But flowers need watering during dry spells, need dead-heading, etc, so they aren't exactly low maintenance either, but are near to the ground than high tree branches.

But what do I know? I'm taking out big old trees to put in smaller dwarf fruit trees, but they are shorter and bear fruit, unlike the big old trees.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:19 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
I used to have some large trees until nature knocked -all- of them down with a tornado - thankfully they only damaged a little of the house on the way down. I vowed never to plant a tree that could damage the house, or potentially crush me in my sleep, so I planted some small trees and large bushes for shade.

Instead of relying on whatever ideas the previous owners had, I (strategically) placed some crape myrtles to shade the southern and western sides of the house (windows). I planted a couple more small specimen trees for screening / show.

I'm happy that I no longer have to clean the gutters and the shade saves about $20 / month off the summer power bill. Plus, the curb appeal of the property increased tremendously (IMO), thus increasing the home value. I'm lazy (er, efficient), so reducing the amount of work involved is a big plus.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:20 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Arborvitaes make wonderful privacy hedges.

Pine trees don't shed leaves that need raking.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:46 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,484 times
No time to take care of the trees? No money to hire someone else to do it? Don't do it. No money and no time means save yourself hassle in the future and leave it empty for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden