Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 06:16 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times

Advertisements

It was 70° on the nose today, lots of sun. Finally after a loooong winter. It will be 50s and 60s all week, some rain, finally, no snow, after almost every day last week.

So, I finally leveled out the hole with new soil today from the pompass grass we dug up finally last fall. It got out of hand and we never liked it. It was here when we bought the house 2.5 years ago. It may be early, wrong time etc, but i threw out some grass seed too, wet it down good. Can't have a huge patch of loose dry dirt flying in the air all summer, especially when mowing. Its about a 10 sqft area that's naked, both from the pompass grass hole and what didn't grow around that mound due to the pompass.

Then i got busy repotting some indoor plants.

The money tree plant needed desperately to be repotted. It was huge in a tiny pot, and had leaned over drastically. So now it stands tall and proud ( now if only it brought in more money to the house haha).

I repotted the live sections of two succulent menageries into one pot of survivors.

I fertilized the banana plant, and am looking for my fruit tree fertililzer for the orange tree.

I repotted two other plants, and trimmed up the reminder of the menagerie that is in my "jungle room", the room filled with lots and lots of plants and grow lights for winter.

I'm taking a break but after mowing to mulch the remnants if last falls leaves, spreading the soil and grass seed, and repotting and fertilizing. I'm probably done for the night.

So what have planted or repotted today? ( or recently?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 06:22 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Lucky you....sounds like you live in the western half of the country...or maybe FL.

temps here not stable enough yet for outdoor planting....looking forward to repotting numerous houseplants and leaving most on the patio or porch for the summer.

Wish I had some of your money plant clumps...love those.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:58 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times
Sunday I put Blue Ensign and Belgravia Rose (common names, the long names are on Annie’s Annuals website) in hanging baskets. Blue Orion geranium went into a pot and Baby Blue Eyes is on the patio table. I put the new shrub rose, Joasine Hanet, which is a beautiful hot pink into a large blue pot for the patio. I painted the patio fence light gray and the patio floor dark gray and thought pops of pink and purple would set it off nicely.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
I'm still doing winter cleanup in the garden! Hope to start planting my veg garden this week. I'll start with plants this year instead of seeds for most of it since it's a little late.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:57 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Lucky you....sounds like you live in the western half of the country...or maybe FL.

temps here not stable enough yet for outdoor planting....looking forward to repotting numerous houseplants and leaving most on the patio or porch for the summer.

Wish I had some of your money plant clumps...love those.
Um no.

Florida wouldn't still be getting snow.

I'm north of you, if the upper right side of the profile is correct.
I'm in tge southern tier of upstate N.Y.

Last night was 38, a little frosty maybe though.

But this week's night will be 40s.
Should be getting better here on out.

Mid may all warmth should return.

Zone 5, specifically zone 5b.

Money tree... I actually think I bought mine at Wal-Mart! It was a spindly little thing.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Took out the Meyer Lemon for the season, planted the tomatoes that I had started by seed inside, a few weeks earlier than usual due to the amazing early warm spell. Supposed to hit 82 Thursday, before the normal rain comes back Friday.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:41 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Um no.

Florida wouldn't still be getting snow.

I'm north of you, if the upper right side of the profile is correct.
I'm in tge southern tier of upstate N.Y.

Last night was 38, a little frosty maybe though.

But this week's night will be 40s.
Should be getting better here on out.

Mid may all warmth should return.

Zone 5, specifically zone 5b.

Money tree... I actually think I bought mine at Wal-Mart! It was a spindly little thing.

Ha...missed the snow part

Old 04-26-2018, 08:41 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
I’ve potted up 2 sweet potato vines that came up from an older planting I cut way back. I’ve also potted up 3 powder puff shrubs, again “volunteers” from a transplanted shrub around New Years.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 PM

175 posts, read 366,431 times
Tomatoes!

21 tomato plants of 18 varieties planted since Saturday. Also some more bean, cucumber, and squash seeds. Very excited for this vegetable growing season.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I added a systemic insecticide to my dwarf Zuni crepe myrtle tree because the aphids were winning the war. It's starting to bloom for the first time - yay - so pretty!

Started a bunch of plants in peat pots and most have been repotted into plastic glasses waiting for the rains to be over, and still have some coleus and basil in peat pots that I'll plant into plastic glasses tomorrow, with some being potted into bigger pots for my balcony. I'm going to try selling my extra plants at a library flea market next month. They're all doing quite well under grow lights right now.

Put some nasturtium seedlings into bigger pots and they're doing great on the balcony - some in a pot that will grow up a privacy fence I made and some in a hanging pot. I love growing nasturtiums from seed - they get big really fast. Very rewarding.

Also started a couple jacaranda trees from seeds and they're starting to grow. Just wanted to see if I could LOL. Will end up trying to sell them, too, since I don't have space for a jacaranda tree in my apartment with small balcony.

I guess my story is mostly about what I've already potted and what needs to be potted up, rather than what I actually got done today, which was nothing :-)

I was going to start just a few tomato and pepper plants and some flower plants and herbs for my balcony and under grow lights in my apartment, then decided to just plant most of the seeds anyway, just because I love growing plants from seeds, and see if I can sell them, and if not, I'll just donate them to the local food pantry for people to enjoy for free. Spread the love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden