Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 10:38 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have a young Cornus Florida (flowering dogwood) that I moved during the winter months. Now, it still appears to be dormant. All of the limbs are pliable/seem to be alive. The issue is that it is approaching mid-May and none of the buds have opened. Every dogwood in the neighborhood has bloomed and finished by now, but mine still is dormant. About half of the flower and leaf buds seem to be shriveled/dried up, and the other half appear normal. I'm assuming the shriveled buds will not open, and they may have been damaged by late freezes we had in early April. The branches that hold those damaged buds still appear healthy, though. And I'd think the healthy buds should have opened.

Any advice from Dogwood growers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 03:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Dogwoods have super sensitive roots and they usually go into serious shock when they are relocated to a new spot, even if it's done in winter when the plant is dormant. After it's transplanted it will stay alive but can appear to not flourish for a long time - it's almost as though it gets depressed and sulky. Even with the best of pampering it can take up to a year for the tree to re-establish a good root system and for the tree to perk up and come back to a full recovery with lots of new growth energy. I'd suggest you pamper it through the rest of this year, let it do it's thing to get re-established again and probably next spring it will be back in normal full growth and bloom.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden