Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 05:57 PM

6,364 posts, read 4,193,409 times

Advertisements

I have several newly planted ( a few months ) Oakland Holly’s and I just noticed some browning on the tips of the leafs.

Is It not being watered enough? The ground here is clay so I’m more afraid of overwatering than not giving them enough.

Last edited by Rickcin; 02-14-2021 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 10:05 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
This time of year it's probably a salt burn, fertilizer burn. Could also be from water on tips causing tip burning from watering when sun is directly on it. Though more like salt burn from salt build up in soil from not watering deep enough. Common in clay soils.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
This time of year it's probably a salt burn, fertilizer burn. Could also be from water on tips causing tip burning from watering when sun is directly on it. Though more like salt burn from salt build up in soil from not watering deep enough. Common in clay soils.
So you’re thinking give it more water when watering? Thanks

Old 07-31-2018, 08:37 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
I also read that brown edges result from temp extremes...like a very cold snap last winter...that should stop on its own, or drying out in very hot weather.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I also read that brown edges result from temp extremes...like a very cold snap last winter...that should stop on its own, or drying out in very hot weather.
It was just planted a few months ago and was not brown tipped when planted.

Perhaps I’m being overly concerned, it could be the soil salt as previously mentioned.

I know I’m being too anal since we lost a Fat Albert Spruce due to Bagworms and I blame myself for not questioning those hanging sacks! My fault and I feel very badly about it. It’s always bad to lose a shrub or tree but especially when it’s due to me.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:44 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
It was just planted a few months ago and was not brown tipped when planted.

Perhaps I’m being overly concerned, it could be the soil salt as previously mentioned.

I know I’m being too anal since we lost a Fat Albert Spruce due to Bagworms and I blame myself for not questioning those hanging sacks! My fault and I feel very badly about it. It’s always bad to lose a shrub or tree but especially when it’s due to me.

Guess you kept it well watered after planting??? Best to plant early spring or early fall, so the new roots can grow, remain cool, get lots of moisture....planting anything in summer can almost guarantee problems. No moisture to get from soil or very little, at least. If it's from heat and dryness it should recover over fall and winter.

I don't like to lose plants that I planted either. Those bagworms are bad enough just by their look, they also do damage.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Guess you kept it well watered after planting??? Best to plant early spring or early fall, so the new roots can grow, remain cool, get lots of moisture....planting anything in summer can almost guarantee problems. No moisture to get from soil or very little, at least. If it's from heat and dryness it should recover over fall and winter.

I don't like to lose plants that I planted either. Those bagworms are bad enough just by their look, they also do damage.
All very true and I’m good about watering since I enjoy checking on all of the planting’s. I’ve planted at least a dozen shrubs this year including 7 Allegheny Viburnums and doesn’t include the 4 clumping bamboo plants. I water all of the new planting’s with natural rain water that I have in several barrels that are connected to the leader drain from the roofs gutter system. Everything appears to be doing well with lots of new growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden