Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 03:45 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times

Advertisements

Mountains of NC. Seeing some color on maples and a few other trees. Also seeing more and more leaves falling. It seems too early to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 04:08 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Mountains of NC. Seeing some color on maples and a few other trees. Also seeing more and more leaves falling. It seems too early to me.

Almost all the leaves are off my apple trees; but they suffer from fire blight. We have so many invasive insects that can push an early color change or leaf fall.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:11 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
As we were driving down the street this afternoon, my wife noticed the first touch of red on the edges of some leaves on a maple tree in a neighbor's yard.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:14 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I'm a fan of the locust tree. They drop their leaves earlier than most and when a chill autumn wind( or not so chill) blows and you see those yellow leaves fluttering and spinning down en masse its something. There's a stretch of road north of us along Route 61 called " Dark Water." It got its name from the tannins of the leaves turning the creeks dark. The Black Moshannon in Center County Pa means the same. Dark Water is along a valley with steep hills and those leaves will be flying turning the area golden.
Yellow is my favorite leaf color. Poplars, oaks, some maples, they have a mix of yellow and russet browns. When you walk along a woodland trail and everything is golden its like stepping into another world.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:30 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
According to sources on the web, I’ve heard that the trees are starting to change colors earlier than usual in places like Colorado, specifically the mountain high country of Colorado; I’ve heard that the drought in Colorado is likely responsible for the colors coming early.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:42 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
Hello, anyone?doesn’t anybody care to share observations on fall foliageIt is my understanding that the trees in the inter mountain west have begun changing and in those areas some places(Colorado for example)the trees there are changing weeks ahead of schedule and in a few cases are already near peak conditions. Nothing to see yet in the greater Indianapolis metro area though, so I suppose I understand about the lack of comments or activity on this thread.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:51 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Noticed on our way into town this morning that a few dogwood trees have finally colored nicely and a couple of sweetgums in the woods were looking good. Other than that, the only sign of autumn here is a smattering of color on some maples and just a touch on a sourwood in a neighbor's yard. Autumn is in no rush getting here this year.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:11 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
For best color changes, the trees need sunny days and cold nites: a lot of sun puts photosynthesis into high gear- the chlorophyll is "used up & depleted" during the day-- and then with cold nites, it can't be re-generated very well, so without hi levels of chlorophyll, the secondary pigments show thru.

We've had a lot of rain here lately- little sunlight, liitle color change. Then with two bright days in a row & cold nites-- Viola!-- you could almost see the colors change hour by hour. Colors show thru at the sun-exposed tops first. It looks like the crowns are on fire. Beautious!

I like the week before "peak color." You have a lot of color but also a lot of green remains for contrast. We also have a good diversity of tree types in our forests here, so many different colors, from tans, to golden yellows, to flaming orange and then bright and dull reds all mixed randomly

Old 10-05-2018, 04:28 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
We had millions upon millions of tent caterpillars earlier this year. It was just disgusting. This was our second year in the row that they came in hordes. Our maple tree leaves were chewed to at least 50%. What used to be a beautiful forest of colours in the fall, are now just yellow with no reds, and not pretty at all.

I said to hubby that the ONLY thing those darned caterpillars are good for is reducing the amount of leaves to rake in the fall.

I wish there was something that could kill them off because I'm afraid they will be back again next year They'd better not end up killing our trees!

Old 10-05-2018, 05:08 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
We had millions upon millions of tent caterpillars earlier this year. It was just disgusting. This was our second year in the row that they came in hordes. Our maple tree leaves were chewed to at least 50%. What used to be a beautiful forest of colours in the fall, are now just yellow with no reds, and not pretty at all.

I said to hubby that the ONLY thing those darned caterpillars are good for is reducing the amount of leaves to rake in the fall.

I wish there was something that could kill them off because I'm afraid they will be back again next year They'd better not end up killing our trees!

Do you mean 'gypsy moths' or tent caterpillars? The reason I ask is because the tent caterpillars usually eat fruit trees and our wild black cherry trees - not maples. If you are having problems with the gypsy moths your county might have a spraying program that you can sign up for to get sprayed in the Spring. If they are tent caterpillars and you own land; I got rid of most of mine by removing all the smaller wild cherry trees and carefully spraying my fruit trees. Tall, large wild cherry trees do not have the problem of the smaller, shorter, trees.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden