Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:18 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Do you mean 'gypsy moths' or tent caterpillars? The reason I ask is because the tent caterpillars usually eat fruit trees and our wild black cherry trees - not maples. If you are having problems with the gypsy moths your county might have a spraying program that you can sign up for to get sprayed in the Spring. If they are tent caterpillars and you own land; I got rid of most of mine by removing all the smaller wild cherry trees and carefully spraying my fruit trees. Tall, large wild cherry trees do not have the problem of the smaller, shorter, trees.

Good luck!
Hmm, I think you are right, but we have acres of forested land surrounding our house, not just a few trees in a backyard, etc, and I doubt there's any way the city will spray enough to make a difference here. I've never heard of people getting their acres sprayed, but maybe a small lot... not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 12:31 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Hmm, I think you are right, but we have acres of forested land surrounding our house, not just a few trees in a backyard, etc, and I doubt there's any way the city will spray enough to make a difference here. I've never heard of people getting their acres sprayed, but maybe a small lot... not sure.

I can't speak about what you furrinners north of the border are doing, but here in WI we have a spraying program run by the state. I bought my 40 acres here 6 yrs ago. At the time, the gypsy moths were over-running the place with those ugly cocoons filled with the caterpillars fouling the branches everywhere-- impossible to eradicate by hand. I hadn't developed the property yet, but the problem was so widespread, the state took it upon themselves to do a mass spraying over half the state and we haven't had a problem since then.

I don't know what they used, but 5 yrs later, now that I've built and moved in, I sit on my front porch and butterfly-watch over my front yard meadow the way some people bird-watch around their bird feeders-- the spraying did no lasting damage to other Lepidoptera.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:50 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:

If the trees are tall, it's difficult to spray them. If they are not right next to fruit trees or edible garden, get yourself some systemic insecticide. You pour that on the roots. Any bug that tries to eat the tree will die.

For a large number of trees, buy your insecticide from a farm supply or farm chemical store, not the local garden center. That way you can get bulk prices. Follow the directions on the container.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:48 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:

They do aerial spraying with crop duster type planes for the caterpillars. Here is my State's program: https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Conservation...s/default.aspx. I have paid a private company to spray our five acres in the past. It runs about $50/acre. Also you have to have enough acreage to make it worth it for the company that sprays. So you get your neighbors together so you meet their minimal requirements. We still had a problem years ago because if we had one neighbor that objected to getting sprayed; they would not spray.

If you checked out that link you would see that our State uses Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies kurstaki (Btk) to control the caterpillars. It is highly effective and the caterpillars just dissolve once infected. I do not know how it is done in Canada; but I know that you care about your trees and I am sure you also have similar programs.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:49 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
I can see that this thread has gone off topic, not to mention the fact that there have been NO pics of fall colors WHATSOEVER, might as well have some one lock this damn thread.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:31 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I can see that this thread has gone off topic, not to mention the fact that there have been NO pics of fall colors WHATSOEVER, might as well have some one lock this damn thread.

Actually the insect damage had a direct effect on the foliage. Here is a picture from one side of my property:

As you can see our leaves are just starting to change; but many have dropped prematurely. The reason they dropped is because the trees without leaves are ash trees and are affected by the emerald ash borer. Many diseases/infestations have a direct effect on the final product.

When my maples turn I should have some better pictures; but they are just starting.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:13 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Back to fall colors. Here in SW NH, colors are just starting to take off. Some places look great, nearby can be mostly green. I suspect late next week will be the peak.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:33 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
We're not quite there yet in southern Indiana--probably a week or two away from peak color. Here is one from my back yard last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Fall foliage thread 2018-1461058_10152455100677749_2907752764871513735_n.jpg  

Old 10-10-2018, 10:04 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Had a bit of a breezy day here at times. Whenever we got a fairly good gust, a shower of golden tulip poplar leaves would come down in the back yard. Wednesday was also our last day of 80 degree temps; heading now to a week of 60s/40s. Autumn has finally made an appearance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden