Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 01:31 PM

13 posts, read 11,769 times

Advertisements

I have some stubborn weeds around a barn in my backyard that I've had professionally removed but they are slowly coming back. I want to put some weed killer down but not harm my dog that will go out back often. If there anything pet safe that can get rid of weeds? I've also considered putting down the weed killer and just blocking off the area so he can't go back there. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 02:09 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geranium86 View Post
I have some stubborn weeds around a barn in my backyard that I've had professionally removed but they are slowly coming back. I want to put some weed killer down but not harm my dog that will go out back often. If there anything pet safe that can get rid of weeds? I've also considered putting down the weed killer and just blocking off the area so he can't go back there. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
UNFORTUNATELY, nothing works like Round-off, but it contains cancer-causing products, according to a recent study made, and I read it in this Garden Forum. I have tried EVERY organic product, and nothing kills them. About the only product I would recommend would be a Weed Barrier, GardenersProducts.com, have some good ones....

And, if you do not mind my bringing this up to your attention, not only do you have to safeguard your puppy from it, but also from most plants......I lost my previous dog to it, and to this day, I feel terribly guilty........now, I have another little angel.........he is not going anywhere near the garden......good-luck....!!!!

Old 09-04-2018, 03:29 PM

13 posts, read 11,769 times
I appreciate the feedback. So sorry to hear about your baby Thanks for the heads up!

Old 09-04-2018, 03:42 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Roundup, in high concentrations, may or may not be a carcinogen, and mostly for ag workers. In low concentrations used for actual weed killing in our yards, not much risk at all. Spray a plant, which moves it to the roots, and have overspray soak into the soil, and any risk is pretty well gone.

The problem with toxicity research, including carcinogens, is that many things are toxic/carcinogenic at high enough concentrations, that don't seem to be at lower concentrations. In some cases, researchers have found that high concentrations cause their problems through biochemical pathways that are not activated at lower concentrations. So when someone says "a recent study" I'd be a bit sceptical, especially since (a) extreme results are the ones that get press coverage and (b) many, many studies are not confirmed. OTOH, if you hear "multiple studies have shown..." then you might listen.

So don't fear roundup. It works. It won't hurt your dog.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:13 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Roundup, in high concentrations, may or may not be a carcinogen, and mostly for ag workers. In low concentrations used for actual weed killing in our yards, not much risk at all. Spray a plant, which moves it to the roots, and have overspray soak into the soil, and any risk is pretty well gone.

The problem with toxicity research, including carcinogens, is that many things are toxic/carcinogenic at high enough concentrations, that don't seem to be at lower concentrations. In some cases, researchers have found that high concentrations cause their problems through biochemical pathways that are not activated at lower concentrations. So when someone says "a recent study" I'd be a bit sceptical, especially since (a) extreme results are the ones that get press coverage and (b) many, many studies are not confirmed. OTOH, if you hear "multiple studies have shown..." then you might listen.

I'm sorry for anyone that loses their dog for any reason. I don't know how one can claim Round-Up killed their dog however unless the product was spilled and the dog lapped it up. Millions of dogs die every year of cancer.
I use the product sparingly in small spots once or twice a year and keep my dogs inside when spraying. I don't fear using it.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:01 AM

It's best to keep pets away from any weed killer for a few hours, until the spray dries. Any animal toxic effects from the stuff seem to be caused by the surfactant in its formula. Even then, its toxicity is remarkably low. See Glyphosate Technical Fact Sheet for details.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:24 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
What I think you need is a pre-emergent weed preventer. You put this down once in the spring time, usually late April where I am (Northeast). Put that down and keep the pets away for 24 hours. I have two cats and I keep them in when our service comes. We irrigate. It is best to water it in and then when it dries it is safe.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:46 PM

Pre-emergents work by preventing annual weeds from sprouting from seed.If you're dealing with perennial weeds, it will also block seed sprouting, but not affect established plants.

Pre-emergents are pretty safe around pets (except aquatics like koi) 24 hours after application. There are even organic versions derived from corn!

Old 09-08-2018, 08:09 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post

It has been all over the newspapers and the media that Roundup contains Glyphosate, a well-known carcinogen.......if the dog licks it, it will kill the dog.........and many plants will also poison the dog......my dog was poisoned because he ate some plants in my garden........and he died........

Old 09-09-2018, 08:10 AM

^ Makes you wonder where newspapers and the media get their "facts"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden