Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
As a general rule, the root system of a tree is almost a mirror image of the branches you see above ground. If that tree is hanging over your house, you can almost bet it is under it as well.

For all of you folks the have cut trees down because the roots were damaging things that were built on top of them, here's another thing to worry about: You've cut the tree down, ground the stump below grade and repaired the damaged patio or wall. The root is still under the structure and is now going to decay. At some point in the future, that root is no longer going to be a viable support structure and a hollow spot will develop.
As far as spread, I would agree about the mirror image, but the depth of the roots is not in relation to the vertical height of the canopy. We now know that tree roots do not go as deep into the ground as we once thought they did. Part of why tree roots lift patios, driveways, etc., is directly related to how shallow tree roots actually grow.

I don't remove the tree stumps unless necessary. The stump can serve a host of critters for many years to come and also provide some of the earth stability you refer to. Native honeybees in particular can make good use of stumps .

I don't know the answer to this - it's a good question for my Tree Whisperer/Arborist - but I would think that as the roots slowly decay there is an exchange that takes place, a filling in?

At the house where I removed the huge oak tree, at least it's off-grade/on piers, so if the foundation goes off-kilter, I can just jack it up and set it straight again !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I would definitely cut that tree down. it is much too close to your house.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:55 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
If the tree is in good shape I'd prune it so no large branches would be likely to fall on the house.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 PM

236 posts, read 1,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
As far as spread, I would agree about the mirror image, but the depth of the roots is not in relation to the vertical height of the canopy. We now know that tree roots do not go as deep into the ground as we once thought they did. Part of why tree roots lift patios, driveways, etc., is directly related to how shallow tree roots actually grow.

I don't remove the tree stumps unless necessary. The stump can serve a host of critters for many years to come and also provide some of the earth stability you refer to. Native honeybees in particular can make good use of stumps .

I don't know the answer to this - it's a good question for my Tree Whisperer/Arborist - but I would think that as the roots slowly decay there is an exchange that takes place, a filling in?

At the house where I removed the huge oak tree, at least it's off-grade/on piers, so if the foundation goes off-kilter, I can just jack it up and set it straight again !
I meant it the way you said it. That's the way it was in my head, really.

I'm not saying the best thing is to remove all evidence that the tree was ever there. That would be cost exclusive. As it decays, it will allow voids to develop. In theory, if there was a way to trap the gasses and moisture that are given off during the decay process, they would probably occupy the same space.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:47 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,624 times
As I study your picture, the bark of the tree looks similar to a live oak. Live oaks this time of year (spring) are dropping their leaves and new ones are coming out. If the tree is a live oak you would see the flowers or catkins that are hanging from the tree. Yeah, you would know because they typically make a big mess (easily noticed by the yellow pollen). Not seeing evidence of this from your pic (if the pic is recent), I would assume this is not a live oak. It is possible that it within the oak family.

To answer your question, yes this tree is to close to your house and must be removed. It is far less expensive to do it now than later. If you have any other trees on your property I would suggest you have them trimmed by the same folks that remove this one in question. Again I am only going from the pic, it is obvious you have not trimmed this tree at all (low branches). Get several quotes as they will vary. Also ask neighbours if they have recently used a tree service.

One point I would like to make about trees, is that deep watering will keep the lateral roots underground. Do some research if you want shade trees around your home.

Best of luck..

Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I would say it's gotta go.

Your plumbing sweats. You know, hot and then cold and then hot. Tree roots will head straight for that moisture. Tree might not cause foundation problems for years (til the roots get really big and start lifting) but it will attack your water main and your sewer a lot sooner going after the moisture.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
You say an inspector said to cut it down. The second opinion should come from another inspector, perhaps a tree doctor or landscaper for the area.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
You say an inspector said to cut it down. The second opinion should come from another inspector, perhaps a tree doctor or landscaper for the area.
They did, they have, and it needs to be removed.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 13,952 times
Over all, should I move the tree if it is too close to my house?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
EEK can I hijack the thread?

I have a beautiful, gorgeous native red maple that the previous owners planted about 6 feet from the house. It is about 20 -25 feet high. I read that they can get really huge! It's not causing any problems now...

Should I consider cutting it down before it gets bigger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden