Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times

Advertisements

I have gone from having a regular garden to having raised beds to containers and you can plant absolutely anything in a container. I dare someone to tell me I'm wrong. There are grown trees including mature weeping willows that have spent their entire lives in an above-ground man-made "container" and are transported that way from tree farms to other locations. The cost of this would be prohibitive to people like you and me, to be sure. But for corporations - happens every year. And tree farms are happy to oblige such customers.

So, if you can grow all kinds of trees in containers, I assure you, everything else can too. The ticket is the size, the soil, the drainage, the sun exposure and care. Yup.

Oh, and if you've never been to the Land Pavilion at Epcot Center in Walt Disney World, you might want to do that. They are showing how entire vegetable farms can be cultivated without soil, above ground, inside a climate-controlled greenhouse and nourished with a regular spritzing of treated water. It's a real eye-opener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:33 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
If you find you get too many zucchini - quite likely - try picking them when tiny with flowers attached, and cooking them deep-fried with a stuffing, yummy!

virtualitalia.com - food - zucchini flowers (http://www.virtualitalia.com/recipes/zucchini_flowers.shtml - broken link)
Yes and try not to let them mature too much or the plant will stop producing female shoots (the ones that mature into fruit - the males are just stems with a flower on) - cut the fruit while they're a nice size like you'd see in the grocery store.

Here's a useful page about them: Colourful Courgettes Factsheet - Gardening Australia - ABC

I grew them a couple of years ago in open ground and they sprawled right across the veg patch onto the lawn, they were enormous! I gather you can train them up canes as well if you wanted to try that, but I've never given it a go.

On the plus side, if you keep picking the fruit early you'll keep getting more. You'll run out of recipe ideas before it stops producing!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,428 times
Thank you for the tips on growing zucchini. I'm anxious to try growing some in a container. Also learned you can trim this plant with it dying. I will certainly come back to this form with my gardening problems as they come up.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,327 times
I have beautiful zucchini plants, tons of blossoms, but no squash.....what gives??

Old 06-07-2010, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,856 times
QUESTION!!!
I am an amateur veggie grower. I did not know it was possible to over water: I have been adding water EVERYDAY!!! My cute little baby zuccs have shriveled up and died Is it possible for them to spring back and how often should I water them???? PLEASE HELP!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
No, they won't spring back. They would be dead now from damping off. Replant (there is still plenty of time) and use a moisture meter. Ask at any of the big box stores or nurseries and they will know what you need.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:18 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
We'll need some zucchini recipes. My favorite is to just slice them and add them to spaghetti sauce or lightly cook them and eat them as a side dish green vegetable. But my mother is pretty good about making zucchini bread for the family. Now that's what zucchini is all about.
My brother is trying to grow eggplants in containers and I'm curious to know how much they produce?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:43 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
This is from last year and its really a photo of the climbing limas and a zuchetta squash but you can see the Round De Nice squash leaves to the far right. It was quite large at that time of year for my zone because the other advantage is it can be moved from green house which it was. So it is indeed possible.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden