Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 03:13 PM

845 posts, read 1,348,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
As would I.

The bid seems fair to me for the area.
I would still suggest to see other bids, but I believe that will be the average bid you're going to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 03:51 PM

21,915 posts, read 9,488,758 times
Yeah, landscaping is VERY expensive. I have gotten quotes in my Chicago area suburb and I always end up not doing anything because they are so $$. That sounds reasonable to me, especially given where you live.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:53 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Yeah, I'm in San Francisco which is the most expensive U.S. city right now. I had another bid to simply sod the front lawn and the cost was $1500.

I went to a nursery this morning and asked of the prices seemed in line with the going rate. It seems they are so I will go with this landscaper and the $1440.
My goodness, $1500 to sod your little front yard? Looks like it's maybe 5'x8'. You could do it yourself for less than $100.

$1400 overall isn't too bad, but there's not enough detail in the bid. A "plant" could be just about anything.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:38 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,311,281 times
I looked up USA prices for the plant you mention and price of mulch and prices rock pebbles and if other small plants same price than is about usd 125 to do these two small bits of garden yourself is about maybe 1 hour work. Not sure what price is labour in USA for gardening/landscaping.
I have not bought mulch in years as I can not garden anymore but last bag I bought was 10 euro I see is usd 4.19 at Lowe's.
Mulch has to be more thick layer as it subsides shrinks and it needs an edging to keep it in place, because dogs/cats people walking and rain/wind will move the mulch bits around onto pavement. There are mulch calculators online. Pinterest has a lot of ideas for inexpensive landscape front yards/gardens.See also www.BHG.com look at garden/yard ideas.
I asked S/O what he thinks it cost to do, he said 150 at most. He think is insane pricing and does not believe so expensive for very little work and materials used.

Perhaps post at www.davesgarden.com for more opinions. See also www.davesgarden.com/guides/ls (landscaping).
Garden books have lots of inspiration ideas. Garden centers have information advice. Points is less than 0 even a newbie hobby person can do better than this. This is not landscaping... Google landscaping gardens see pictures for inspiration.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:34 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
I would still suggest to see other bids, but I believe that will be the average bid you're going to see.
Typically I'd agree, but not in this context.

It's a small yard, so if OP wanted to DIY, they would. OP is likely most interested in getting it done quickly, and messing around getting 3 quotes from 5 companies (because 2 wont' show up) probably isn't worth the time to OP. The quote they have is reasonable for San Francisco, and frankly, if OP has real estate in that city...saving $300 on a quote probably isn't worth the hassle and extra time.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:51 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
They don’t even do small bids. I know when I was in the Bay Area, if they look at your house and they know it’s woryh $1 million, they told me they won’t take anything less than $100k. This is why we ended up DYI for a lot of small project. Something under $1000 is not going to have a lot of bids. This is back in mid 1990s. It must be worst now.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:54 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
It's already been done and they didn't do a good job. //www.city-data.com/forum/garde...at-do-you.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
O. k. what do you think on a scale of 1-10??
https://youtu.be/AitmMmJe3nM

The house is in the Sunset District of San Francisco.

The opening post in the below link provides are some pics taken before the landscaper did his thing.
//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...ound-fair.html

Old 02-22-2019, 04:31 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It's already been done and they didn't do a good job. //www.city-data.com/forum/garde...at-do-you.html

No that doesnt look like $1500 worth of anything. Looks like they just cleaned it up a bit.

Id not be happy, but its up to you. Id get a mildew treatment for those pavers and spray it on myself and hose it off though. You can get it at a big box or other hardware store. I forget what its called, but it can be used on tombstones and showers to stop such growth .

Google it.

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:14 PM

199 posts, read 158,494 times
Yikes. I would be furious to have paid $1400 for that. In no universe is that $450 worth of plants. Or even $100 worth of plants, if the majority went in front.

Did they at least do a good job in your postage-stamp-sized front yard? Did they re-sod or put in rock/plants?

Old 02-23-2019, 11:52 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwrangler View Post
Yikes. I would be furious to have paid $1400 for that. In no universe is that $450 worth of plants. Or even $100 worth of plants, if the majority went in front.

Did they at least do a good job in your postage-stamp-sized front yard? Did they re-sod or put in rock/plants?
It looks terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden