Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:34 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

1. cant grow heirlooms here too hot in sc . they don't do well at all here . Ive tried . 2. we cant build anything and I tried the bamboo it rotted we had so much rain here the last two years so that is out . My husband has a bad back and cant bend over to build anything ...im sorry just cant do seeds either for some reason. But thanks for the tips .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 11:27 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
My garden is about 25x30 and I rotate everything I grow to a different location. I amend the soil with a mixture of fresh potting soil, mushroom compost, and cow manure. I only put it in the holes I dig for the plants, why feed the weeds? I usually only plant 4 to 6 tomatoes and have a freezer full for winter cooking. Last year was a bad year and I had fewer quarts to freeze. It rained and rained and rained in early spring and then very little rain. You can't control mother nature. My Roma's were huge and my Beefmaster's were small. Go figure.
I haven’t got huge tomatoes either. I used to grow huge tomatoes for kicks. One got the size of a small plate.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I haven’t got huge tomatoes either. I used to grow huge tomatoes for kicks. One got the size of a small plate.
With our short growing season I won't even try to plant anything bigger than Early Girl. Most of ours will be Cherry tomatoes like Sweet 100, Black Cherry and Sun Gold. Some days I have picked a a quart and gave some away.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:25 PM

1,183 posts, read 708,238 times
I think both you and tomatoes like the same spot each year. Its not just you.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:41 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
yes.
it is you.
your tomatoes like you
and your same spot.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With our short growing season I won't even try to plant anything bigger than Early Girl. Most of ours will be Cherry tomatoes like Sweet 100, Black Cherry and Sun Gold. Some days I have picked a a quart and gave some away.
Of course small tomatoes ripe up faster, but I still grow the larger types. I think I have problem with my soil, didn’t do double digging like I used to do, maybe that’s why. We finished the garden, and left for 4 months vacation, we forgot we didn’t thoroughly dig it like we use to do. I’m not giving up yet. I will try again this year.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:28 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Tomatoes from the garden are so much better than store bought that I'd gladly spend the equivalent of $3/tomato. For me the cost is reduced by using seed for many of my plants, which I have already started in the house. I don't buy cages, but make my own using the much cheaper bamboo stakes from Home Depot and a ball of string, and they last many years.
When I bought my current house, there was an ugly fence around the front yard, made with those triangular steel stakes and pasture wire. When I tore it out, I made tomato cages out of the wire and had enough for myself and to give a bunch to a neighbor.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:10 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
No...I agree. I have always planted my tomatoes in the back corner....My tomatoes thrive there, year after year.
I've tried a few tomatoes in pots, in other areas of my yard....totally unreliable.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:42 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
What variety of tomato? I used to grow beefsteak that would get that big, but the last couple of years, not so much. I had good luck with the beefmaster's two years ago and got some pretty nice ones. I will try the beefmaster's again. The Roma's always seem to do well but last summer was the worst ever. They were beautiful and larger than normal, but not as many. I'm down to two more quarts in the freezer. Time to panic. I'll have to cook with store bought tomatoes. Nooooooo.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:03 AM

I don’t remember, but I ordered this book and it’s in there. The book was written by an MD, he grew them for fun. That’s where I followed, the taste was not superior, it’s just huge.

https://www.superseeds.com/products/giant-tomatoes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden