Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 11:45 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times

Advertisements

A great control for ticks is Guinea fowl. Unfortunately, they also make great predator bait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 02:48 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
Best stuff I’ve ever used and seen for that matter is TalStr-P. Hands down has saved us now for a few years from bugs getting inside the home and from destroying our landscaping. 1 ounce per gallon, and no more ticks, chiggars, mosquitoes (best as can be for them), lace bugs, spiders and spider mites on trees, etc. great stuff! When we moved into this house in 2015, we had a real ant problem via the rotten patio door. Once a year I’ll spray the exterior foundation of the home (12 inches or so)....never had a bug inside since. Garage houses our trash cans, ants galore, but once a year spray along the concrete apron of the garage floor, and 0% ants.

Also seems to keep the copper head snakes out of our yard (we live near two rivers). Neighbors have the occasional copper head in their yard...not us. I guess it’s the talstr p doing it.

We have a non-verbal child. Ticks (lime disease) and snake bites just can’t happen for us..

Old 05-25-2019, 03:30 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
I have far too much animal traffic here to deal with them this year.
Every animal listed above, and then a few.
Maybe next year.

Quote:
Also seems to keep the copper head snakes out of our yard (we live near two rivers). Neighbors have the occasional copper head in their yard...not us. I guess it’s the talstr p doing it.
Copperheads are attracted to certain bugs (especially cicada) and things that are near bug size.
Remove the bugs (in a fairly wide area), and the copperheads will look for a better eatery.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:04 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
The many birds that are attracted to my natural yard, that is filled with trees, shrubs and flowers, take care of the bugs. Last night, a squadron of tiny wrens did a sweep of my back patio and got all the spiders.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:58 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
I've been happy with Sevin Dust in my garden. First sign of hornworms and cabbage worms I dusted it.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:06 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've been happy with Sevin Dust in my garden. First sign of hornworms and cabbage worms I dusted it.
good, except that for 12000 sq feet, I would need about 84 cu feet of it, which is just about the volume of a pick up truck bed.

I appreciate the help, but have already decided on pyrethrin in the grassy areas. Then Bifenthrin 7.9% under the decks and around the periphery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden