Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 02:18 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times

Advertisements

What is going on with this? Is this two different bushes/trees?

And what do I do with it? Cut down the green stuff?

Photo Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 02:23 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
It looks like you may have some growth out of the roots happening.

I'd almost have to be there to look at it.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:52 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Can you take a close look by following the green shoots down to see where they originate from?

Old 07-13-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It looks like you may have some growth out of the roots happening.

I'd almost have to be there to look at it.
So it's like growing another tree/bush? But they look so different. Is it really the same thing?

If you need, I can go take some pics and try to show you what it looks like underneath.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:32 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
So it's like growing another tree/bush? But they look so different. Is it really the same thing?

If you need, I can go take some pics and try to show you what it looks like underneath.
Maybe. If you have a grafted plant it's very possible.

https://www.maplestoneornamentals.co...ese_maples.cfm

Acer Palmatum Rootstock for Grafting Japanese Maple Trees, Roostock for Grafting Japanese Maple Trees, Japanese Maple Tree Gardening, Japanese Maple Tree Supplies, Grafting Japanese Maples

Old 07-13-2019, 04:40 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post

No, they are both maples but they aren't the same species of maple. Those green branches are suckers from a different maple. There are two possibilities - (1) is that a completely separate green maple is growing beside the red Japanese laceleaf maple - and (2) is that the red laceleaf maple was orginally grafted onto the root stock of the green maple and now the green root stock has sent out some suckers of its own from below or in the vicinity of the graft. Number 2 is the most likely explanation.

In any case if you want to save the life of the red Japanese laceleaf maple you need to cut away all the green leaved maple sucker branches as close as possible to the trunk or roots. And you need to do that as soon as possible. Otherwise the suckers WILL overgrow and overwhelm and sap all energy and food away from the red maple, it will get way too big and the red will die. Guaranteed. That would be a terrible shame since the red laceleaf is a truly beautiful, elegant, valuable little tree and has the promise to get larger and very majestic looking. And that green maple is just a scrag whose only value would have been the rough root stock that was used for grafting. You will also have to check from time to time to ensure that no more green suckers are appearing.

It would be good if you could take pictures of the area under the branches close to the tree trunk(s) and ground just to determine the origin of the green maple suckers.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:58 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
As previously posted, determine where the green leafed shoots are originating from!

Old 07-13-2019, 07:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
All Japanese Maples are grafted onto a more hardy, disease resistant root stock. We see dual variety Japanese Maples around here all the time, because people neglect to cut off the suckers coming up from the base/trunk. Same with a weeping flower in cherry tree, they will put out shoots that go straight up, from the main trunk because their grafts are at the top.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:37 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
I have a very large camellia with red & white variegated flowers. But for some years now, branches have come up with white flowers, which are apparently from the root stock on which the variegated shrub was grafted. But that's fine with me, as I enjoy both types of flowers and the white-flowered branches have never claimed more than about 10% of the whole plant. I also had a tall tree rose, with big, red flowers. It did well for many years, but then petered out and died. But the next year, vines with beautiful, burgundy-colored climbing roses emerged from the root stock. They have spread all over through other trees and shrubs and last for the whole summer. None of the other plants seem to be diminished nor are suffering from the roses, so all is good.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 07-13-2019 at 07:45 PM..

Old 07-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Thanks everyone. Let me see if I can get some pics this evening. I think I've cut them back before, but not down to the roots. I'll see what's going on if I can.

I didn't plant this - was here when I bought the house - but I'd really like to get this thing under control. Still need to figure out how to even care/prune the red one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden