Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:23 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenclark View Post
if you have what kind of tree did you plant ???
Katsura, arborvitae, maples, dogwoods, dawn redwood, sweet gum, and a few thousand pines while being pulled behind a bulldozer and large coulter blade when I worked one summer for the forestry department in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 08:04 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
I planted 15 thuja green giants roughly 5 years ago because I didn't want to install a fence. They were about 4 inches tall and seemed laughable that they would provide any kind of privacy for my corner lot. Though they are much taller than me now, they still don't provide a lot of privacy. Perhaps a few more years.

I also planted a pear tree whip 3 years ago (cut it down to knee height when I planted it) which gave me a bumper crop of pears this year. This is the first time it bore fruit for me. Last spring wasn't conducive to setting fruit for some reason.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:38 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
weeping willow

Old 09-08-2019, 10:52 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Every now and then just for grins I look around this place and count the number of trees/bushes i have planted. Not including the garden it's well over 60.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:56 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
We planted four, 10 foot river birch trees in our front yard. By the time we sold the home they were 30+ feet tall and almost as wide with bright green leaves and beautiful off-white bark.

I also planted a dwarf Japanese maple tree that I bought on clearance at the nursery. the little tree with the delicate, burgundy leaves was a favorite in my garden.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-08-2019 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 02:53 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Yes, multiple types over the years.

In Louisiana we planted a bald cypress, a southern live oak and a willow oak.

In Tennessee we planted a Southern white oak.

In Michigan we planted a lot of different species including red maple, sugar maple, river birch, hickory, willow, beech, spruce, pine and fir.

As a kid I planted a tiny sugar maple seedling that my friend and I found growing under our swing set. I had not been back to the area in years but it has turned into a humongous tree in the past 40 years. It is the very large tree on the right:

Old 09-08-2019, 02:55 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenclark View Post
if you have what kind of tree did you plant ???
I just planted a tree yesterday! I very carefully chose a dwarf chinquapin oak (aka chinkapin) - primarily because it's known to produce acorns in as soon as 3 years and they're very "sweet" and well liked by squirrels and deer.

It's a good size for my small yard and I wanted to provide some better food for all "my" squirrels.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:11 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Katsura, arborvitae, maples, dogwoods, dawn redwood, sweet gum, and a few thousand pines while being pulled behind a bulldozer and large coulter blade when I worked one summer for the forestry department in Virginia.
I forgot one, which is turning out to be one of my favorites, a Cryptomeria Japonica (Yoshino). It is only about 25 years old and is huge and magnificent already. My neighbor liked it so much he has planted one also.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:21 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Let's see, thinking back, I have planted:

in Garden #1: a silver willow (Salix alba sericea) and a liquidambar. The liquidambar was one of my worst mistakes; I was a novice gardener and didn't know about the sweetgum balls. Never again.

Gardens #2 and #3 had too many trees already for me to be able to add any.

in Garden #4: a katsura, a dawn redwood, two parrotia (though I consider those more like an oversized shrub, they did get to 15 ft all), an Arizona cypress (Blue Ice; I am looking for one as nice as that to plant here in Garden #5), and Halesia 'UCONN Wedding Bells' which I stupidly did NOT site as a specimen. Lesson learned. Also a Franklinia that got killed by Superstorm Sandy the year after it bloomed for the first time; that was a heartbreaker.

in Garden #5 (current): So far I have planted Chionanthus 'Tokyo Tower', Taxodium 'Peve Minaret' (do dwarf tree cultivars count?), Picea 'Blue Totem', and Halesia 'UCONN Wedding Bells' again (as a specimen, lol.) I always dither over whether Cotinus is a ginormous shrub or a fat tree, LOL. Anyway, I planted an 'Ancot/Golden Spirit'. Considering that an unpruned cotinus can easily reach 15 ft in a single season, it definitely has a "treelike presence" IMHO.

I have three trees on my wantlist for next year: Cupressus arizonica 'Blue Ice', Heptacodium miconioides, and Prunus 'Amanogawa'. Plus a whole lotta shrubs both dwarf and large, LOL

Old 09-08-2019, 04:02 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
We bought the 1/4 acre lot adjacent to our home in SWFL and had invasive Brazilian Pepper trees
mechanically removed in February/ March. They had totally taken over and I wouldn’t walk in there and couldn’t in some spots. That left a live oak, 2 slash pine, several saw palmettos and some spindly oaks that need to be thinned yet. And a lot of empty space.

I went to a native nursery and bought 6 wax myrtles, an Eastern red cedar, 2 Jamaican Capers, two Simpson Stoppers, a coco plum and a pitch apple. A week later I got a free green Buttonwood for Arbor Day. All were three gallon size. This was in April and reliable rains don’t begin until mid June. I was watering daily for two weeks, every other day for three weeks and then every three days until the rains took over. I had over 200 feet of hose to reach the wax myrtles planted as a screen by the road. I thought those rains would never start! They are all growing and doing great. So this is the native side of our property.

In the yard by the house I have a Meyer Lemon and a Nom Doc Mai mango. 4 palm trees: a carpoxylon, a flame thrower and two old man. We’ve planted five stands of clumping bamboo that are grasses, but 30 feet high now.

My true love was already here, a large live oak in the front with Spanish moss hanging on it. I did plant one more native tree on this side mixing with the non-natives: a lignum vitae which grows very slowly and I won’t like see it in its full glory, but that’s okay.

I love trees. I used to climb them as a kid as high as I could go until the branches started swaying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden