Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 02:10 PM

309 posts, read 323,751 times

Advertisements

I removed a dying tree the one with an X. First I was not planning on replacing it but now i want to replace it with a small tree. The one on the left is the dogwood.

With just one tree it looks unbalanced. What should i replace it with???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 03:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,323,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdurhamnc View Post
I removed a dying tree the one with an X. First I was not planning on replacing it but now i want to replace it with a small tree. The one on the left is the dogwood.

With just one tree it looks unbalanced. What should i replace it with???
I think you should replace it with a picture either left or right! One or the other!

LOL!

Old 11-25-2020, 04:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,078,986 times
I think OP is having trouble posting pictures.

You can see several pictures of the trees in the following thread, just scroll down. The remaining healthy tree on the RIGHT is the dogwood and the dying eastern redbud tree on the LEFT (with a red X) was cut down and removed.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gard...dium-tree.html

Old 11-26-2020, 05:17 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,323,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

You can see several pictures of the trees in the following thread, just scroll down. The remaining healthy tree on the RIGHT is the dogwood and the dying eastern redbud tree on the LEFT (with a red X) was cut down and removed.

Thank you Z for displaying OP's previous post with appropriate photos. I had not seen that particular post!

Right back at you Z

Old 11-27-2020, 08:31 AM

309 posts, read 323,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Thank you Zoisite for including the link. Trying one more time to include the picture. I had to delete the old pictures in order to add it again.

I want to replace the tree on the left that I had removed. The dogwood is on the right is okay and i like it.

I want to plant a smaller tree where i have an arrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Small tree suggestion-the_tree.jpg  

Old 11-27-2020, 09:22 AM

10,112 posts, read 6,458,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdurhamnc View Post
Thank you Zoisite for including the link. Trying one more time to include the picture. I had to delete the old pictures in order to add it again.

I want to replace the tree on the left that I had removed. The dogwood is on the right is okay and i like it.

I want to plant a smaller tree where i have an arrow.
Have you spoken with your local extension agent? They would have some really good suggestions on a replacement tree or even large shrub depending on your soil pH, amount of sun, average rainfall, proximity to traffic and the dogwood. Also, what caused the redbud to die?

Old 11-27-2020, 09:33 AM

12,056 posts, read 8,452,533 times
I live in Zone Four and had requested an American chokecherry for Mother's Day one year. Instead they sold DH a Japanese ornamental chokecherry which are subject to black knot. The blooms are so very fragrant and lovely but short-lived.

After years of nursing the sick tree along we both agree it's time to cut it down. I would like to replace it with a Japanese lilac tree. They have become popular in my neighborhood and it's a real treat to see the blooms so late in the season.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=japanese+l...ages&ia=images

I wonder if something like that would work for you.

Old 11-27-2020, 12:07 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,078,986 times
I'd put in a smoke tree: https://www.google.ca/search?q=smoke...w=1346&bih=682

Or maybe a late summer blooming magnolia.

Old 11-27-2020, 12:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,675,786 times
I'm going to recommend Ostrya virginiana (Hophornbeam). I have several and they have grown wonderfully. If the area is more moist, you cold also use Carpinus caroliniana (Hornbeam). Both of these are fairly disease resistant and longer lived. You'd likely have to find a nursery that sells native plants to get one though.

A Japanese maple might work as well.

Old 11-27-2020, 02:45 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,887,116 times
Not knowing your location (other than your handle,) I'd recommend a citrus tree. If you're going to plant/water/fertilize, you might as well get some fruit out of it.

If you just want a "pretty" tree, then a "Ficus" are pretty hardy.

If you want a challenge, then Plumaria would have your neighbors talking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden