Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 05:44 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times

Advertisements

The catalogs are out...

Tomatofest

Totally Tomatoes

add your favorite supplier....

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
The catalogs are out...

Tomatofest

Totally Tomatoes

Regards
Gemstone1
Haven't even thought about them yet. Hubby just got our garden completely cleaned up the other day. I do the planting, I do the care and picking of the produce, he does the clean up. If he didn't I would be trying to use the same old plants from the year before, dead or alive.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:55 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,899 times
Quote:
The catalogs are out...

Tomatofest

Totally Tomatoes

Regards
Gemstone1
1) https://ohioheirloomseeds.com/
2) Tatiana's TOMATObase - Heritage Tomatoes - Tatiana's TOMATOBase
3) https://www.dianeseeds.com

All three I listed have very reasonable to cheap mailing rates.

My experience is Ohio seed, gives you a lot of seed for the $ and extremely high germination rates. At $2.29 for postage and handling Mike has the best deal I have found.

Not to push Ohio seeds but I see they now have a 10 pack heirloom tomato pack for $13.99 that may be of interest.

https://ohioheirloomseeds.com/produc...t-10-varieties

the only one I would question in that pack is Yellow Pear, the Beams version is really the only one worth growing (IMO) as the other versions seem to have lost the classic flavor. or be hit or miss. But for all I know this may be Beams that Mike is growing. All versions of Yellow Pear are prolific as all heck, i have been growing it for about 45 years now as kids like it.

One company I would not recommend is Pinetree. My repeated experience with them is mislabeled varieties and poor germination rates. I would avoid them.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 01-03-2020 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-04-2020, 07:33 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I think I m not doing seeds this year im going to go to the flea market and get established plants aka seedlings .

Old 01-04-2020, 03:51 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Just got my Territorial Seed Catalog.

Since I only plant 12 Tomato plants now (used to do 20+) I try to just do the ones I like. So I always have seeds left over from a $2 seed packet I bought.

I might try Hamson Beefsteak Tomato this year.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:09 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Finally narrowed my order down to $120....doing something different this year, buying a quantity of seeds to last at least 3 years at a lower per seed cost....from HPS Seed. Their prices are pretty close to Tomato Growers Supply and Totally Tomatoes.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-21-2020, 09:37 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Am not doing seeds this year either. It's too much work and many of them died last year without ever making it into the ground. I will just go get seedlings from the nursery or Home Depot and put them right into the yard. They produce just as well as the seeds do.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:27 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Finally narrowed my order down to $120....doing something different this year, buying a quantity of seeds to last at least 3 years at a lower per seed cost....from HPS Seed. Their prices are pretty close to Tomato Growers Supply and Totally Tomatoes.

How many plants are you planning to plant? I know its never about the $$ with gardening but 120 on Tomato seeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Am not doing seeds this year either. It's too much work and many of them died last year without ever making it into the ground. I will just go get seedlings from the nursery or Home Depot and put them right into the yard. They produce just as well as the seeds do.
Why give up? It's a learning process for everyone until you have the rhythm. Why did they die?
Also, given your location why not just plant the seed in the ground vs starting indoors?

Old 01-21-2020, 11:13 AM

127 posts, read 61,479 times
I've never purchased seed from Tomato Growers Supply. Anyone have a good/bad experience with them?
Also, I saw a couple of varieties in Baker Creek that i want to try.

I start just about everything I grow from seed, however, this is the 1st year i'm attempting to start from seed with a new family member...Milo the psycho-kitty! I might have to purchase plants this year.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:22 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinetwelve29 View Post
I've never purchased seed from Tomato Growers Supply. Anyone have a good/bad experience with them?
I purchased seed from them for many years, and always had a great experience. Good germination rates, ad lot of unusual varieties that are hard to find elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden