Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 07:06 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times

Advertisements

I am such a fan of the knockout rose. We have a few of the double reds on the side of my house, and it's the only rose bush the deer don't touch. Also, they don't need as much sun as other roses.

Has anyone tried the other colors besides the double red (I think it's called Radrazz). I would like to plant 6 bushes in the back, and am thinking of trying one of each color. But it's more important to have healthy big plants than a variety of colors, if the Radrazz is the most vigorous or the most flowering variety.

Opinions? Which colors do you like? And has anyone tried the new yellow or rainbow varieties yet? Do you like them?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:52 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times
I'm not sure what colors my Knock-out roses are, but they perform just as beautifully as what you describe. I've never been able to grow a rose before in my life, but these are just incredible. The Japanese beetles give me a fit, but I start treating the plants with a systemic fertilizer/pesticide starting now, and continue throughout the summer months, and they look absolutely beautiful. The most I ever do is prune the dead blooms some, and keep the bushes in shape.

The nursery closest to my house has yellow Knockout roses, and I can't wait to try a few of those along the back of my yard. The nurseryman told me that a climbing Knockout rose may be forthcoming in the next few years, too.

Good luck in your search for different varieties/colors.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:52 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times
I was at the nursery yesterday and they had just gotten in a ground cover spreading Knockout rose. I only wish I had an area to give it a try.

We will be installing Knockout roses at the entrance to our neighborhood, now I am thinking we should consider using the red & yellow together hmmmm might be an interesting combo

Old 04-24-2008, 04:58 AM

The colors are pretty basic. They have a red, a double red, a bright pink, a double bright pink, a pale-pink "blush", a yellow, and something called "rainbow" which is yellow to pink.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:53 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,402 times
No kidding.. I love roses and have tried for years but finally gave up. Are knock-out roses fairly small/bushy? I think I know what you are talking about but normie states that the deer don't like them? If that's true I want to try them. Are they disease resistant? I usually get black spot on my other roses and all other type of diseases that I couldn't keep up with. I also put them in pots on my deck, but that didn't do well either.. so I would love to give these a try.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
No kidding.. I love roses and have tried for years but finally gave up. Are knock-out roses fairly small/bushy? I think I know what you are talking about but normie states that the deer don't like them? If that's true I want to try them. Are they disease resistant? I usually get black spot on my other roses and all other type of diseases that I couldn't keep up with. I also put them in pots on my deck, but that didn't do well either.. so I would love to give these a try.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/bulletwife/GardenWeb/JessKOs.jpg (broken link)

I highly recommend them, but I can't guarantee your deer won't eat 'em. That was my experience, however. Deer absolutely decimated my hybrid tea rose garden three years ago. I was heartbroken and gave up on roses, hosta, etc. for a few years. A friend gave me the knockout, so I tried it and to my surprise Bambi left it alone. Now I'm a huge fan.

I have a theory that deer don't like Knockouts because they are covered with tiny little thorns. These are bush roses, not roses for cutting. I put a photo above so you can get an idea of what they look like (hope that's ok, I just grabbed a photo from the internet).

As I said, these are not cutting flowers. The stems are very short and thorny. The bushes don't need any trimming at all--you just leave them alone. The flowers don't have as many petals as the hybrid teas. They look almost like old fashioned roses. The bushes have an abundance of flowers (at least mine do). They only need about 6 hours of sun per day, although of course they'll do even better with lots of sun.

Mine did not have any problems with black spot, and didn't seem to attract the Japanese Beetles. I don't know if that's typical or I was just lucky.

Last edited by normie; 04-24-2008 at 06:15 AM..

Old 04-24-2008, 07:55 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/bulletwife/GardenWeb/JessKOs.jpg (broken link)

I highly recommend them, but I can't guarantee your deer won't eat 'em. That was my experience, however. Deer absolutely decimated my hybrid tea rose garden three years ago. I was heartbroken and gave up on roses, hosta, etc. for a few years. A friend gave me the knockout, so I tried it and to my surprise Bambi left it alone. Now I'm a huge fan.

I have a theory that deer don't like Knockouts because they are covered with tiny little thorns. These are bush roses, not roses for cutting. I put a photo above so you can get an idea of what they look like (hope that's ok, I just grabbed a photo from the internet).

As I said, these are not cutting flowers. The stems are very short and thorny. The bushes don't need any trimming at all--you just leave them alone. The flowers don't have as many petals as the hybrid teas. They look almost like old fashioned roses. The bushes have an abundance of flowers (at least mine do). They only need about 6 hours of sun per day, although of course they'll do even better with lots of sun.

Mine did not have any problems with black spot, and didn't seem to attract the Japanese Beetles. I don't know if that's typical or I was just lucky.
They look beautiful. I can only hope I can grow them like you. I'll give them a try. I also have a vole problem.. so many little critters to deal with in my yard.. My cats seem to help get rid of the voles though. Thanks for the photo and info.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Gorgeous roses, Normie!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times
Wow, but that spreading ground cover knock-out rose sounds fabulous! I have a slope to the front yard that would be absolutely perfect, if I had as good luck with these as my others.

For me Knock-outs are fool-proof, me being the 'fool.' What a winner of a name for the plants, too -- "knock-outs." Definitely.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Gorgeous roses, Normie!
Thanks--but for the record, they aren't mine. I didn't have a photo of mine from last year, and my plants aren't in bloom quite yet. So I grabbed a photo from the internet that showed a bush about as big as mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden