Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,680 times

Advertisements

My knockouts are dying on the bush. Some buds also start dying before they open. By dying I mean they start turning brown and look dried up. The bushes themselves have some spots on them - mixture of white and black on leaves. Help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 01:01 PM

718 posts, read 598,855 times
Could possibly be Rose slugs or black spot fungus. If you have a local garden nursery close by, I would take a few leaves and some pictures of the shrubs and see how they suggest to treat them.

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2018, 01:19 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
if the nursery is not close by then get a fungicide and spray them and see if that helps it sounds like some kind of fungus and im a fanatical rose grower and I have never had this happen but have had black spot recently and the fungicide made it go away .

Old 06-13-2018, 07:12 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Your plants have the symptoms of a fungal disease called botrytis (Botrytis cinerea) This disease prevents the blooms from opening; buds turn brown and decay. Sometimes partially opened flowers are attacked and individual petals turn brown and shrivel.
Read more...
https://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-...t-fail-to-open

Old 06-13-2018, 08:04 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Does sound like botrytis. Do you have dahlias growing nearby your roses? Dahlias can be notorious for either succumbing to botrytis and releasing it to plants nearby, or for being botrytis carriers and then spreading it via their roots to other plants.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:20 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Try some granular Bayer systemic for roses on it. It’s for insects and disease. It could be too late, but maybe it will save it. I put it on mine on the holidays (St Pat’s through Labor Day) and it keeps them pretty healthy.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:00 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
Could possibly be Rose slugs or black spot fungus. If you have a local garden nursery close by, I would take a few leaves and some pictures of the shrubs and see how they suggest to treat them.

Good luck!
I would just take some pictures. No need to spread disease.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:03 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I’m reviving this because I will be taking out my last remaining Knockout after this summer. I had 4, planted together, and they did great for a few years, but one by one they have up and died. I cut the last one way back last spring to give it a chance to recover, but it hasn’t. I have used the Bayer systemic on it, but it still looks puny and sick. I won’t be planting roses in that area again.

I put some good old fashioned grandifloras in the back yard, and they are doing fine.

As I drive around town, I have noticed that many of the Knockouts in commercial plantings are not looking too great either. It seems like they were too good to be true.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:21 PM

915 posts, read 1,624,676 times
Off hand, I can't recall the name but there is a disease without any cure that hits roses including knock outs. Initially, they thought the knock outs weren't affected but figured out they are. It resembles the rosetta thing (witchy-looking stems) but is something different than that. I will look to see if I can find the article but it is something that will kill your plants/in fact, they say to destroy the plant and don't allow it to go into anywhere that it could be mulched as it will spread to those places. What surprised me is that this has existed since the 1940's and yet I never read about it until a few years ago. When I started seeing excessive red growth on my THIRTY SIX rose bushes (not every one as yet but all showing symptoms that make me suspect I'll eventually lose them all) including killer thorns, unattractive blooms often in super clumps of blooming, and branches dying , I figured I should write them all off. I haven't had the heart to just dig them all out but maybe after this summer , I will. It's a heartbreak to see beautiful healthy bushes that were treated every summer with the Bayer 3-way stuff just be crippled in time by this phenomena. Again, I'll see if I can find it for the actual name but it is a sorry end to beautiful plants. Added note : apparently it is called Rose Rosetta and it is a virus. No treatment/no cure . Actually no prevention except removal of the whole bush if you see it.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:11 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I have used Sevin successfully for some problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden