Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 05:38 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfThree060916 View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm new here so go easy on me.

I'm looking to build a few raised garden beds for my wife. I've already done my research on how I'm going to construct them, but I'm running into a problem with the wood. I see that folks are uneasy about using treated lumber for potential chemical leaking. It seems the most recommended type of wood is Cedar or rough-cut Cedar. I'm more of an electrical with some decent handyman skills, so I'm not on top the gardening topic and or wood working. When I go to Home Depot or Lowe's, I'm not seeing anything like what people are recommending. So, my question is, what the heck are people in Connecticut using for lumber when making a raised garden bed?

Thank you in advance.

Rick
Read through.

Taking the liberty of attaching the other thread where Cambium shows us how to make a raised bed. Framing angles = Pure Genius.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/gard...2020-pics.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 05:57 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
I used regular old pine 2 x 12's. I'm confident they will last a decade easily.....no point in paying a fortune for redwood or cedar. They won't last much longer if at all.....

Old 03-26-2020, 09:44 PM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
If you can get it, Redwood works well for raised beds. When I built some beds years ago it was cheaper than treated lumber.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:52 AM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Do yourself a huge favor and skip using wood altogether. Use standard concrete blocks to build your beds with. Not only are they going to last forever, you can put plants in the block cutouts giving you even more planting space. Perhaps the best part of this method is the very low cost vs. lumber.

Since these blocks absorb moisture, you could paint the inside of them(dirt side) with a water impervious paint so they don’t suck all the moisture out of the soil.

Back when I was doing square foot gardening I built my beds out of pressure treated lumber. If you leave them set a full year a lot(not all) of the nasty chemicals will have leached out, then plant in them the 2nd year. At any rate, even with pressure treated 2x10’s the wood only lasted about six years before crumbling. That’s when I decided on using concrete blocks.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:58 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
or use straw bales (possibility of lots of chemicals) or just heaps without borders which is what I do Youtube Charles Dowding

Old 03-27-2020, 11:16 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfThree060916 View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm new here so go easy on me.

I'm looking to build a few raised garden beds for my wife. I've already done my research on how I'm going to construct them, but I'm running into a problem with the wood. I see that folks are uneasy about using treated lumber for potential chemical leaking. It seems the most recommended type of wood is Cedar or rough-cut Cedar. I'm more of an electrical with some decent handyman skills, so I'm not on top the gardening topic and or wood working. When I go to Home Depot or Lowe's, I'm not seeing anything like what people are recommending. So, my question is, what the heck are people in Connecticut using for lumber when making a raised garden bed?

Thank you in advance.

Rick
Go to a lumber mill or builder supply store. My HD and Lowes don't carry much as far as cedar either; almost all whitewood with some yellow pine thrown in, and nicer oak/poplar/pine boards sold for a fortune.

Cypress isn't a bad wood, nor is Ipe, Black Locust, Teak, or Redwood. Cedar is probably second to all of the above in terms of rot resistance but you have to account for cost as well.

I would look for Cypress fence pickets if you're looking for a deal.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,314 times
Thank you so much for all the tips here. I'm really liking the idea that came from, "Ron61". Using cinder blocks may end up being our solution...

Old 03-27-2020, 04:12 PM

50,333 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We just covered this question in a master gardeners question. It appears that treated lumber does not appear to be a danger in raised gardens, but it will last longer than untreated.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:20 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Whatever you do, don't use hemlock. It will start to decay after two years in the wet. The lumber producers have come up with a cute trick: they produce dimensional lumber labeled "Hem/Fir". The premise is, that it might be either hemlock or Douglas fir. But I have learned that it's much more likely to be hemlock.

Years ago, I went to a builder's supply yard and asked for a long plank of Douglas fir. I split it up into strips that I used to make a kayak. Too late, I discovered that I'd been sold a piece of hemlock, instead. Hemlock also has the bad tendency to warp, when wet. That boat had to be put into a brace every year for a couple of weeks, to warp it back into being more or less straight. A neighbor had a very nice, but expensive cedar fence built, all around their property. All of the pieces were Western red cedar, except for six hemlock 2 x 4s that were the horizontal top-cap pieces on fence sections. Over time, they warped so badly, that they pulled apart the lattice sections below them and fell to the ground. The fence builders must have run short of cedar and bought those pieces of hemlock to finish the job.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-27-2020 at 08:33 PM..

Old 04-03-2020, 05:48 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Just saw this and thought it might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVqWtHs3fmQ&t=386s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden