Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 11:32 PM

612 posts, read 1,513,660 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I got some pepper and a tomato plant from the store and will be transplanting it into bigger pots tomorrow. Couple of pepper plants have small bell peppers growing on it. I read somewhere that when plants have flowers or fruits on it, it shouldn't be watered much. However what about fertilizer?

I got some epsom salt, garden lime, plant food and liquid fertilizer and I was thinking to add it to the water and feed it to them after transplanting. What it be too much to feed them with fertilizers now?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 04:59 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Be careful not to kill them with kindness. So you intend to keep them in pots, permanently?

Use a good potting soil in pots with good drainage. You can put a few pebbles or broken shards in the bottom of the pot, before the soil. If the potting soil does not have fertilizer in it, I would put a small amount of granular fertilizer in with the soil, or, the liquid fertilizer is fine- follow the instruction. Plant the tomatoes very deep (you can remove a few of the lower leaves) and plant the peppers at the same level as they are now.

You must keep them watered. Nutrients are carried to the plant by water. Ive never heard of not watering a plant with fruit on it. Always water under the plant if possible, and try not to get the leaves wet.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:01 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,035,841 times
Be careful, this is how you become a plantaholic. It starts with just one, maybe 2 plants. You say "I can handle it." You start to enjoy having plants growing, blossoming, caring for them. And sometimes you might even talk to them saying "Well look at that a baby tomato! Good job you."

Just saying "Be careful" this is how it starts.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:32 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Hello,

I got some pepper and a tomato plant from the store and will be transplanting it into bigger pots tomorrow. Couple of pepper plants have small bell peppers growing on it. I read somewhere that when plants have flowers or fruits on it, it shouldn't be watered much. However what about fertilizer?

I got some epsom salt, garden lime, plant food and liquid fertilizer and I was thinking to add it to the water and feed it to them after transplanting. What it be too much to feed them with fertilizers now?

Thanks!
Chances are it was already fertilized a week or two before you bought them from the farm it came from or nursery. I would suggest NOT doing anything yet but do have 1 question.........

What kind of soil is in your pots? Your answer will help me answer you better.

Also, tomatoes will dry out faster in pots. Peppers can tolerate dry soil better but both should be watered, with or without fruit on them. Let the top 2-3 inches of the soil dry out first. Keep an eye on the weather. What state are you from?

Old 04-20-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Be careful not to kill them with kindness. So you intend to keep them in pots, permanently?

Use a good potting soil in pots with good drainage. You can put a few pebbles or broken shards in the bottom of the pot, before the soil. If the potting soil does not have fertilizer in it, I would put a small amount of granular fertilizer in with the soil, or, the liquid fertilizer is fine- follow the instruction. Plant the tomatoes very deep (you can remove a few of the lower leaves) and plant the peppers at the same level as they are now.

You must keep them watered. Nutrients are carried to the plant by water. Ive never heard of not watering a plant with fruit on it. Always water under the plant if possible, and try not to get the leaves wet.
Haha yeah I won't add too much of things. I don't own a house, so will have to keep plants in pots permanently. I was going through some youtube videos and looks like veggies can grow on pots. I did get stones to put at the bottom of the pots. And I also read about tomatoes should be planted deep. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 04-20-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Be careful, this is how you become a plantaholic. It starts with just one, maybe 2 plants. You say "I can handle it." You start to enjoy having plants growing, blossoming, caring for them. And sometimes you might even talk to them saying "Well look at that a baby tomato! Good job you."

Just saying "Be careful" this is how it starts.
I already became plantaholic lol... I have some herb seeds at home that we use in cooking, so now I am thinking to plant those as well...

Can't wait to see plants getting their babies...

Old 04-20-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Chances are it was already fertilized a week or two before you bought them from the farm it came from or nursery. I would suggest NOT doing anything yet but do have 1 question.........

What kind of soil is in your pots? Your answer will help me answer you better.

Also, tomatoes will dry out faster in pots. Peppers can tolerate dry soil better but both should be watered, with or without fruit on them. Let the top 2-3 inches of the soil dry out first. Keep an eye on the weather. What state are you from?
I got a potting mix from home depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kellogg-...-681/100160888

Went through what's in the mix and looks like they have some fertilizer added into the potting mix. I am thinking just to add little compost and some garden lime to the potting mix and skip epsom salt and fish & kelp fertilizer for next few weeks. I will start adding fertilizer after 3 weeks or so.

I live in Southern California and we do have harsh summers. My apt faces north, so I don't get harsh heat for entire day. I plan to look at the soil before watering.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:21 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
"My apt faces north, so I don't get harsh heat for entire day"....so, will the plants be in full sun ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-20-2020, 11:13 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
I got a potting mix from home depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kellogg-...-681/100160888

Went through what's in the mix and looks like they have some fertilizer added into the potting mix. I am thinking just to add little compost and some garden lime to the potting mix and skip epsom salt and fish & kelp fertilizer for next few weeks. I will start adding fertilizer after 3 weeks or so.

I live in Southern California and we do have harsh summers. My apt faces north, so I don't get harsh heat for entire day. I plan to look at the soil before watering.
First, do no harm. Your potting soil contains fertilizer. You do not need anything else except sun and water.

The problem with Epsom salt or lime, or anything thing containing minerals, is, you have to first know if your soil is deficient. If you start adding magnesium, sulfur or anything else without a soil analysis, you risk doing more harm than good. There is no point in adding lime unless you know your soil is too acid. You know it isn't, because the soil analysis is right on the bag.
Get either some granular fertilizer for vegetables, like Osmacoat, or you can use miracle grow, and use it on the holidays (Memorial Day and July 4, etc).

Also, lime is so slow acting that it won’t even break down before fall anyway.

Last edited by gentlearts; 04-20-2020 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-20-2020, 11:27 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
I already became plantaholic lol... I have some herb seeds at home that we use in cooking, so now I am thinking to plant those as well...

Can't wait to see plants getting their babies...

I hate to sound discouraging but the herb seeds that you have at home that you have been using for cooking will not be viable, they are dead seeds. If you want to plant herbs from seed you will need to buy packets of living, viable seeds from a garden store or perhaps ordered online.

Quote:

My apt faces north, so I don't get harsh heat for entire day. I plan to look at the soil before watering.
Tomato and pepper plants require several hours of direct full sunlight every day, they get vital nourishment and energy from the sun. If your apartment faces north and your potted plants may be sitting in shade getting no sunlight all day they won't do well. They will become too tall and spindly from trying to reach for sunlight and they will stop producing flowers and fruits since they will be putting all of their growing energy into trying to find sunlight.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden