Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 08:49 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times

Advertisements

Two of my personal favorites are monarda and butterfly weed but I don’t know how they’d do in your zone as I’m in Missouri. Monarda grows wild here, mostly in the woods and has a lavender colored flower and a lovely scent...it’s what they use to flavor Earl Grey tea. You can also find a cultivated variety that has bright red flowers and I have grown it many times and it comes back for years and it draws bees and hummingbirds.

The butterfly weed is one that I sometimes see growing by the hwy and the bright orange flowers are the most intense I’ve ever seen.

I like DubbleTs and zoisites lists as well...you don’t want something you’re going to have to water.

Oh and if you like berries, that looks like a perfect place to plant them. You’ll want to find out what does best in your area of course. Here it would be blackberries but then you wouldn’t even have to plant them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 09:44 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Even if OP plants nothing, he'll need to do maintenance on it because otherwise, it'll just revert back to it's previous state. Birds will poop seeds, the wind will blow seeds, etc.
It depends on how much maintenance the OP is willing to do. If it’s just a pretty spot to look at while driving by, then flowering bushes like laurel covering the area is a good idea. Flower beds are work, until they can naturalize and spread. Even then, varieties often have to be divided and weeds always manage to creep in.

The OP has a ton of choices for flowers, but will have to spend time learning which ones are shorter and taller so the bed will look nice when it’s planted. If there are deer in the area, that has to be considered as well. Gardening is always work.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:47 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I think you have been given good advice to let it grow this season and see what you have.

From my own experience when I lived more rurally, I loved to look around and see what mother nature had provided every year. Daffodils and tiger lillies are great. Not sure, but your area might be ok for irises, and crocus. Check out your nurseries for bulbs in the fall. My area had dogwood, redbuds and wild plum trees blooming in the spring. Some areas had wild blueberries. I would probably keep out on what the people local to you have growing and follow suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden