Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 04:59 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Last year my mom passed away. I kept the flowering pot plant my exwife had sent to the funeral. It’s still alive. Wife wants to transplant it to a larger pot. We have the pot and three bags of potting soil. I’m thinking we pour two bags of potting soil, pour the third bag to form a circle leaving the center open, place the plant in the center, then finish the potting soil bag. This should give the plant room to grow and bloom again.

Is there any precautions we should consider for the transplant? I’m going to take a photo of the plant and the new pot and post in the next reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 05:05 PM

First two Photos are the plant. Third photo is the pot to transfer into

I swear my photos were right side up. Don’t know why they’re laying on the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Transplant plant to larger pot-9ee501a0-7c60-4f8c-8838-d02f8331c2d7.jpeg   Transplant plant to larger pot-9dfd6773-49f6-408b-9154-d628d1d8325c.jpeg   Transplant plant to larger pot-c31a8877-7f70-492b-be30-07a5ffdc58cc.jpeg  

Last edited by victimofGM; 04-26-2020 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-27-2020, 12:45 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
Hard to tell from your pictures but if you can add three bags of dirt to the new pot it is probably too big. You only want to transplant up one or two sizes. You can try to gently lift the plant out of its current pot and see if it’s root bound.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:24 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Last year my mom passed away. I kept the flowering pot plant my exwife had sent to the funeral. It’s still alive. Wife wants to transplant it to a larger pot. We have the pot and three bags of potting soil. I’m thinking we pour two bags of potting soil, pour the third bag to form a circle leaving the center open, place the plant in the center, then finish the potting soil bag. This should give the plant room to grow and bloom again.

Is there any precautions we should consider for the transplant? I’m going to take a photo of the plant and the new pot and post in the next reply.

Sorry but I don't think that's going to work out the way you're planning. See, you don't have only one plant in there, from what I can see you have at least 5 (maybe more?) different and incompatible species of plants in there that were not grown together in that pot. They were all grown separately in different pots and then put into the one pot together later on to make a TEMPORARY funeral arrangement. All of those plants are actually not compatible to be kept with each other for long term since they all have very different growing requirements from each other and all need separate soil, water and light exposure conditions if each one is going to survive and flourish. Keep in mind the arrangement of them together in one pot was only supposed to be a very temporary thing.

Now a year later the peace lily is overgrowing and crowding out the smaller palm tree, prayer plant and what appears to be a croton and maybe a ponytail palm or some kind of long grassy appearing dracaena plant and those smaller plants are on their way to dying because they cannot compete against the aggressive peace lily which is now killing them. Putting them all together into a much bigger pot with lots more room is still not going to help the smaller ones, they will still die because that peace lily will make every effort to eliminate them and it will win the fight for complete dominance of the pot. (I've never been able to understand why they are called peace lilies because they are any thing but peaceful towards other plants, they are downright unfriendly.)

Each one of those separate plants should ideally be put into a separate pot of its own so it can continue growing and fill out into a beautiful big plant in its own right all by itself.

When you go to take the arrangement of plants out of the pot they are in now they are likely all going to come apart from each other easily enough except some of the newer roots may be tangled together now and the individual root balls will have to be gently tugged and pulled apart.

The peace lily definitely should go into the biggest new pot by itself and it will quickly spread out and completely fill it in and will get much taller and you'll start getting new blooms on it again. The soil for the peace lily needs to be always kept evenly damp to ensure humidity at all times but not be allowed to stay soaking wet on the bottom. That plant needs moderate daily light.

The croton and prayer plant could feasibly go together in one pot because they both have similar soil requirements and both like to dry out between waterings, but the prayer plant will grow faster than the croton and the croton needs much more, brighter light than what the low light prayer plant can tolerate without browning and withering ..... so .... you should probably give them each a pot of its own right from the get go.

The baby palm tree and whatever that long leaved grassy thing is (ponytail palm or dracaena?) each needs to go into a pot of its own and it needs soil that is very well draining soil with more sand in it than what is probably in the potting soil you bought, so you will probably have to get some sand to mix in with it.

If you decide to take your chances and keep them all together in the one big pot then just do exactly what you had already planned to do. But at least try to spread the separate root balls of the individual plants out and away from each other some more so they have more room, especially away from the aggressive peace lily. I wouldn't hold out much hope for them though if you keep them all together.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-27-2020 at 03:15 AM..

Old 04-27-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sorry but I don't think that's going to work out the way you're planning. See, you don't have only one plant in there, from what I can see you have at least 5 (maybe more?) different and incompatible species of plants in there that were not grown together in that pot. They were all grown separately in different pots and then put into the one pot together later on to make a TEMPORARY funeral arrangement. All of those plants are actually not compatible to be kept with each other for long term since they all have very different growing requirements from each other and all need separate soil, water and light exposure conditions if each one is going to survive and flourish. Keep in mind the arrangement of them together in one pot was only supposed to be a very temporary thing.

Now a year later the peace lily is overgrowing and crowding out the smaller palm tree, prayer plant and what appears to be a croton and maybe a ponytail palm or some kind of long grassy appearing dracaena plant and those smaller plants are on their way to dying because they cannot compete against the aggressive peace lily which is now killing them. Putting them all together into a much bigger pot with lots more room is still not going to help the smaller ones, they will still die because that peace lily will make every effort to eliminate them and it will win the fight for complete dominance of the pot. (I've never been able to understand why they are called peace lilies because they are any thing but peaceful towards other plants, they are downright unfriendly.)

Each one of those separate plants should ideally be put into a separate pot of its own so it can continue growing and fill out into a beautiful big plant in its own right all by itself.

When you go to take the arrangement of plants out of the pot they are in now they are likely all going to come apart from each other easily enough except some of the newer roots may be tangled together now and the individual root balls will have to be gently tugged and pulled apart.

The peace lily definitely should go into the biggest new pot by itself and it will quickly spread out and completely fill it in and will get much taller and you'll start getting new blooms on it again. The soil for the peace lily needs to be always kept evenly damp to ensure humidity at all times but not be allowed to stay soaking wet on the bottom. That plant needs moderate daily light.

The croton and prayer plant could feasibly go together in one pot because they both have similar soil requirements and both like to dry out between waterings, but the prayer plant will grow faster than the croton and the croton needs much more, brighter light than what the low light prayer plant can tolerate without browning and withering ..... so .... you should probably give them each a pot of its own right from the get go.

The baby palm tree and whatever that long leaved grassy thing is (ponytail palm or dracaena?) each needs to go into a pot of its own and it needs soil that is very well draining soil with more sand in it than what is probably in the potting soil you bought, so you will probably have to get some sand to mix in with it.

If you decide to take your chances and keep them all together in the one big pot then just do exactly what you had already planned to do. But at least try to spread the separate root balls of the individual plants out and away from each other some more so they have more room, especially away from the aggressive peace lily. I wouldn't hold out much hope for them though if you keep them all together.

Thanks. Hadn’t considered that. Humidity isn’t a problem for us because we live in south Louisiana. Have shared this with the wife. We’ll look into one or two more pots to try to separate the plants. Neither of us have a green thumb.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
When you pot a plant, or several as you have there, you should add rocks, pottery shards or pebbles in the bottom of the pot. Then add soil. Then carefully plant the plants. Fill in with more soil.

I am sure you can find a YouTube video for good instructions.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When you pot a plant, or several as you have there, you should add rocks, pottery shards or pebbles in the bottom of the pot. Then add soil. Then carefully plant the plants. Fill in with more soil.

I am sure you can find a YouTube video for good instructions.
We do have rocks and broken concrete in the bottom of the new pot.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:13 PM

32,654 posts, read 48,053,996 times
OP, you place a layer of soil on the bottom, just the right thickness to keep the top of your plants at the same depth.

Next, you remove the old pot and carefully place your plant in the new pot. After the plant is in the new pot, then is when you add new soil to fill in the sides.

I agree with separating the plants but you can plant just like they are and the strong ones will overcome the others and you will have some of them survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden