Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2020, 02:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times

Advertisements

I got very good plants from the nursery and planted them in pots with excellent soil and fertilizer. Was told to do "full sun". Not good. Most of them burned up and died. The ones in the shady area are still growing but the berries are small, hard, measly little things. I tasted one and it was sweet but my efforts were wasted on a bunch of non producers. I won't plant any strawberries next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 02:34 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
If they are too small must not have had good pollination or fertilization.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:47 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
. Most of them burned up and died.

The problem with growing in pots is that the pot can only hold so much water at one time. You water them to the point that they're drowning, but then after a short time in the AZ sun, they're dehydrated before you know it...Consider some sort of frequent, small waterings schedule each day or drip system?...Maybe position them so they only get 4-6hrs of direct sun daily? (That's all they really need.)

Old 06-16-2020, 09:26 PM

644 posts, read 307,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The problem with growing in pots is that the pot can only hold so much water at one time.
That could well be the problem. When I used small containers, they'd dry out so fast. On really hot days I had to water twice a day. And even though strawberries are supposed to do well in containers, I couldn't get perfectly healthy-looking strawberry seedlings to thrive in a pot. I'm trying out bigger planters now... they seem to hold water better.

Also, I can't speak for all strawberries, but mine grow a better in the shade than in full sun. Mine are alpine strawberries though, don't know if that makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden