Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 08:32 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times

Advertisements

We moved into a new house in May. In the yard there are several large hydrangea bushes. I believe they are big leaf ones and they’re blue. They stems are long and wooden like. They booked around late June/early July and were beautiful. We did water them a few times a week with the hose but haven’t turned on our irrigation system. Unfortunately there was not much rain this summer at all and it’s been extremely hot. By late July they were all dead and looked pretty bad. They were shriveled up and brown. We left them alone a few new ones bloomed but after a few weeks my husband cut them back. I fear he cut them too much. They just look awful now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 09:27 AM

287 posts, read 211,618 times
I think they'll probably come back next year. They flower on old stems, so don't cut them back too aggressively. You may also want to get a soil treatment which will keep them blue. I think it's a soil acidifier, but cannot recall exactly. You can turn them either pink or blue just based on how you treat the soil.

They like a lot of water; the HYDRA part of their name refers to water. They also dislike intense afternoon sun.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:39 AM

Right I think part of the reason they died quickly was because they didn’t get enough water.

My husband says he read that after doing what he did they should grow back in two weeks. Not sure about that one.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:54 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, are you asking a gardening question, a psychology question, or a relationship question? It's not quite clear. He cut them back, because as you said yourself, they'd shriveled and were having a Near Death Experience.

I wouldn't assume he ruined the plants. You won't know until next year, however. But if there were a few blooms even after his trimming them, I would take that as a positive sign. Maybe you could both take a hydrangea workshop at a local nursery, to learn more about the care-and-feeding of your new beauties.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Obviously I’m asking a gardening question since it’s in reference to hydrangeas. I am worried he didn’t do it properly as neither of us are experts hence I inquired here.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:29 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
We moved into a new house in May. In the yard there are several large hydrangea bushes. I believe they are big leaf ones and they’re blue. They stems are long and wooden like. They booked around late June/early July and were beautiful. We did water them a few times a week with the hose but haven’t turned on our irrigation system. Unfortunately there was not much rain this summer at all and it’s been extremely hot. By late July they were all dead and looked pretty bad. They were shriveled up and brown. We left them alone a few new ones bloomed but after a few weeks my husband cut them back. I fear he cut them too much. They just look awful now.
This post absolutely requires pictures of the hydrangeas as they are now. You have not made it clear what parts of the hydrangeas died and have been cut off, whether it was the flowers alone or if it was the branches and leaves of the plants as well. Please be more explicit about what was done to the plants.

If it was entire branches and leaves that turned brown and then got cut off then yes your husband has made a very big mistake by cutting those off at this time of year. However, if it was only the flowers that died and got cut off don't worry about it, new flowers will grow again next year. But next year turn on the irrigation system and make sure that all the plants get plenty of water even if it means doing some extra watering by hand, do not neglect them when the weather is so hot and dry.

You have stated "They booked around late June/early July" - what does "booked" mean?

If you haven't turned on your irrigation system yet you might want to consider doing that now before all the rest of the other plants in your garden die too.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:33 AM

I meant bloomed not booked.

So yes he cut down the branches. They were pretty long. So I am pretty worried and upset as to what will happen but it sounds like I won’t know for another year. Ugh.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:46 AM

I will say that the branches he cut were literally sticks growing out of the ground that had no blooms on them. I will try to show pictures. He did definitely cut off the dead blooms.

What do people normally do with shriveled up brown hydrangeas? I have to say the looked awful. Typically with dead flowers after a few days the dead blooms would fall off. When we moved into the house it was just a bunch of sticks growing from the ground but we knew they were hydrangea bushes and we did get beautiful hydrangeas. Just wish DH left them alone.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:22 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
The only thing to do now is keep it watered and dont cut anymore. You'll find out next Spring if it survived.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:21 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Yes, You can cut hydrangeas back to the ground and they will come back. In fact, if you don't want them to get huge, I would do it every year.

google is your friend .... read some of these and watch the videos.

https://www.google.com/search?client...rangea+pruning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden