Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2020, 03:35 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times

Advertisements

I have a sugar maple tree in my yard that is dropping lots of leaves right now, leaves are a mixture of green and brown. There has not been a drought this year in my area and no extreme heat. The other sugar maple trees nearby seem to be fine with no leaf drop. Would could be causing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 10:35 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Have you examined the tree and the fallen leaves for any signs of diseases or insect infestations?

Old 08-31-2020, 03:31 PM

Further to the above, I was reading a post you just made in another thread where you said something which I think is significant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

No, never enough trees. I am planting more trees on my lot, my house has deep woods surrounding it with many varieties of trees, several hundred on my 0.75 acre lot.

The biggest issue is managing the buffer area between the grassy area and the woods as lots of invasive species like that area. Wildlife is quite numerous, and my roof gets plenty of shade in the summer, lowering my utility bills substantially- while the ignorant other neighbors have their houses being broiled by the sun. I have a very large pine tree that is over 80 ft tall that is nearly on top of the foundation, but it seems to be far enough away and is well over 40 years old. I will have to trim it a bit next year to remove some dead branches.
Sugar maples each need really a lot of root and branch space and air circulation, at least 35 feet distance, 50 feet being optimal, away from all other trees.

Where exactly is the effected sugar maple located in relationship to all the many other trees and to your house, and to the sun? How many hours of uninterrupted direct sunlight is it getting every day? It should be getting a minimum of 6 hrs uninterrupted light per day. What are the species of the other trees that are in closest proximity and competition to the effected sugar maple and how tall are they? To your knowledge, are they all trees whose roots off-gassing is compatible with that of the roots off-gassing from the sugar maple?

Have you checked all the other trees on your property for signs of lack of water, diseases, insect infestations and competition for direct sunlight and competition for root space and for water and nutrients?

Do you have healthy mushrooms growing on the property as an indication of healthy mycelium in the soil? If you have no mushrooms that's an indication that the soil is being depleted.

Just something for you to think about for the future - even Mother Nature will put a stop to over-crowding and over-consumption, one way or another.

Going by the above quoted post it sounds like you have a large variety of tree species, some being "sweet" trees and some being "sour" or "bitter" trees (not a good mix), with too many of them all crowded together on such a small piece of land. The size of your small property will not healthfully support more than 100 mature trees in optimal conditions and you are saying you have several hundred trees growing on 0.75 acre lot.

It IS possible to have too many trees when too many trees crammed together means each tree is a detriment to every other tree, especially if some of them require differing PH levels in the soil. Cramming different species together in a small space is asking for root poisoning from the off-gassing of roots of non-compatible trees, then there's competition for water and nutrients in the soil, diseases, fungal infections, infestations from a multitude of species of insects that can and will cross-contaminate different tree species and invasions from invasive plants that thrive in such crowded conditions.

Your 'ignorant' neighbours might not be quite as ignorant as you think they are.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,406,752 times
This is good to know, since I have a sugar maple.

When I moved here, there were two trees in the front yard and three on the street. My instinct said that was too many; I gave away two (the Red King maple, I think it was) and an eastern redbud. The silver maple the previous owners had topped had to come down a year or two later. So I now have a silver maple and a chinquapin oak on the street (probably too close together) and the sugar maple. The sugar maple gets all-day sun and looks like it's doing well.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Further to the above, I was reading a post you just made in another thread where you said something which I think is significant:

Sugar maples each need really a lot of root and branch space and air circulation, at least 35 feet distance, 50 feet being optimal, away from all other trees.

Where exactly is the effected sugar maple located in relationship to all the many other trees and to your house, and to the sun? How many hours of uninterrupted direct sunlight is it getting every day? It should be getting a minimum of 6 hrs uninterrupted light per day. What are the species of the other trees that are in closest proximity and competition to the effected sugar maple and how tall are they? To your knowledge, are they all trees whose roots off-gassing is compatible with that of the roots off-gassing from the sugar maple?

Have you checked all the other trees on your property for signs of lack of water, diseases, insect infestations and competition for direct sunlight and competition for root space and for water and nutrients?

Do you have healthy mushrooms growing on the property as an indication of healthy mycelium in the soil? If you have no mushrooms that's an indication that the soil is being depleted.

Just something for you to think about for the future - even Mother Nature will put a stop to over-crowding and over-consumption, one way or another.

Going by the above quoted post it sounds like you have a large variety of tree species, some being "sweet" trees and some being "sour" or "bitter" trees (not a good mix), with too many of them all crowded together on such a small piece of land. The size of your small property will not healthfully support more than 100 mature trees in optimal conditions and you are saying you have several hundred trees growing on 0.75 acre lot.

It IS possible to have too many trees when too many trees crammed together means each tree is a detriment to every other tree, especially if some of them require differing PH levels in the soil. Cramming different species together in a small space is asking for root poisoning from the off-gassing of roots of non-compatible trees, then there's competition for water and nutrients in the soil, diseases, fungal infections, infestations from a multitude of species of insects that can and will cross-contaminate different tree species and invasions from invasive plants that thrive in such crowded conditions.

Your 'ignorant' neighbours might not be quite as ignorant as you think they are.

Most of the trees on my lot are in the wooded portion near the back portion of the yard. I have a few dozen in my front and backyard in total. The sugar maple is near at least five additional sugar maple trees in somewhat close proximity and gets half a day of direct sunlight. All of the trees are 30-40 years old, and this is the only one displaying any symptoms in the yard part. And yes, the original owner planted nearly all of them and spent a massive fortune on landscaping, so I'm just maintaining what is present within reason. There is nothing unusual on the trunk portion, just leaf drop where the leaves are half brown and green. The odd thing is that the leaves tend to be completely green until August or September every year.
And yes, the neighbors are certainly ignorant if they want completely scorched roofs/no shade and very high utility costs in the summer as the sun will heat things up to a very high degree.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
This is good to know, since I have a sugar maple.

When I moved here, there were two trees in the front yard and three on the street. My instinct said that was too many; I gave away two (the Red King maple, I think it was) and an eastern redbud. The silver maple the previous owners had topped had to come down a year or two later. So I now have a silver maple and a chinquapin oak on the street (probably too close together) and the sugar maple. The sugar maple gets all-day sun and looks like it's doing well.
Spacing is usually adequate within 7-10 ft between trees for the most part. I like having greenery all year long as I intensely dislike Ohio Valley winters with pitch dark skies with little actual snowfall to brighten up the landscape, so still planting plenty of coniferous trees this Fall. I am up to 13 on my lot now, 8 white pine trees, 3 hemlock trees, 1 norway spruce, and 1 virginia pine. I would have far more if white pine trees grew naturally from soil as seedlings, but they grow very well when planted.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:12 PM

GraniteStater, can you post a couple of pictures of that one sugar maple? A relatively close up pic that shows a good detail of the leaves, and one of the whole tree that shows the trunk and lower branches and the base of the trunk at ground level where it grows out of the crown. Also, is it on the east, south, west or north side of the property?

Old 09-01-2020, 07:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,406,752 times
Chinquapin oaks get HUGE. Someday when the silver maple some 20 feet away from it comes down, I won't replace it.

I am using more of a Pete Oudolf approach to brightening my winter (and summer) garden. https://news.wttw.com/2020/01/23/eve...ke-closer-look
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden