Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 03:31 PM

2,714 posts, read 2,215,475 times

Advertisements

While getting quotes to cut down a weak or dead hickory tree I observed a lot a wasps up and down the tree. Are these just preparing for the winter or is there a nest in the tree? It was in the mid 70's at this time. They looked like red wasp, but my wife said they were yellow. The tree is scheduled to be cut down next week when the temperatures will be about the mid 50's for the highs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 08:26 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times
Sounds like possibly Yellow Jackets-hornets. Better tell the tree cutter to come prepared with spray. They may be nesting inside the tree if hollow, or in the ground nearby. I had about 25 stings from a nest in the ground. They don't back off easily. I am not allergic, but they got me fairly easily and stayed with me a long distance from the nest.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:04 AM

I don't think they are yellow jackets which are smaller. These look like red wasp. Regardless I will mention it to the tree cutter. I also have two brand new cans of wasp spray. I never noticed these until the last few weeks when the temperatures started dropping.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:02 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
https://treecaretips.org/wasp-nest-i...iseases-pests/

I get some sort of non stinging wasps in my oak tree. But I think that those are specific to oaks, but not sure.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:28 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post

........ The tree is scheduled to be cut down next week when the temperatures will be about the mid 50's for the highs.
Mid-50's isn't cold enough yet for all wasps to become incapacitated and go completely dormant. On the chance that there's an active wasp nest in the tree then the tree cutter definitely needs to be informed in advance so he will come prepared with the right equipment. You could ask the tree-cutter if he will want to re-schedule his appointment to come cut it in another 4 - 6 weeks instead when it should be colder than mid-50's.

If it was me I would re-schedule the appointment for later when it's much colder and the wasps are definitely dormant. Especially if the tree man is contracted to cut up, handle and haul away all the cut wood.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Mid-50's isn't cold enough yet for all wasps to become incapacitated and go completely dormant. On the chance that there's an active wasp nest in the tree then the tree cutter definitely needs to be informed in advance so he will come prepared with the right equipment. You could ask the tree-cutter if he will want to re-schedule his appointment to come cut it in another 4 - 6 weeks instead when it should be colder than mid-50's.

If it was me I would re-schedule the appointment for later when it's much colder and the wasps are definitely dormant. Especially if the tree man is contracted to cut up, handle and haul away all the cut wood.

I do plan on telling them about the wasps and giving them the option of when to cut the tree down.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:58 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
I see wasps hitting on the leaves of my tree in the front yard every year this time. My idea is that they are preparing for winter. They don't seem to be bothering me or anyone else. Just doing what they are hardwired to do.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:56 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Check to see who's responsible for ridding the tree for the wasps. The contractor may not want to do the work until it's safe to do so. As the owner you're responsible unless the contractor agrees to do it himself. If he agrees it clears you of any liabilities.

Old 10-29-2021, 08:02 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Don't know if your leaves are still on trees or not in Arkansas but here, if the tree is taken down after all the leaves fall, it's less expensive because it makes the job and clean up much easier.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Don't know if your leaves are still on trees or not in Arkansas but here, if the tree is taken down after all the leaves fall, it's less expensive because it makes the job and clean up much easier.
The leaves have been dead for a month or. The wind is now blowing them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden